Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: advice on mobo and cooler  (Read 4219 times)

Offline FREEZY

advice on mobo and cooler
« on: May 01, 2008, 12:54 »
am thinking of building a mid-range gaming PC that will last me 2-3 years(wishful thinking??).ive summed up all the parts except for the mobo and the cooler.the specs are as follows
Q6600,EVGA 8800GT 512MB, 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800, 250GB western Digital.
want to get a stable SLI motherboard which is a good overclocker and a nice CPU cooler that can handle overclocking(not extreme just basic i.e. run the q6600 at 3.6GHz atmost 4GHz).reason for SLI is will want to hook up another 8800GT(comments on whether this is really necessary will be taken).the mobo shouldnt be above $230.i did some research and these are 2 of the mobos i was able to come up with

DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
 EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i FTW SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

both of them are kinda new in the market.as for the cpu cooler wanted to go for the "ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler".
really want to make the right choice coz want to close the pc buying chapter so any and all help will be appreciated..pliz be specific on the mobos you suggest as dont just say "..get a X48 mobo."thats too general gimme a specific mobo i can chekout.
Thanx one and all.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: advice on mobo and cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 13:19 »
I expect someone will be along soon to advise on the mobo, but did you realise that Intel CPUs come with their own cooler?  Well, my recent dual core did, anyway, so I assume they all do.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline FREEZY

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 14:42 »
can that work for overclocking?.......hmmm last time i was here there was quicker response..hmmm..am running outta time so pliiiz heeeelllp... :cry: :cry:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 14:52 »
Hi Freezy

No expert either but i think this link will help you decide...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/motherboards

HTH  :icon_booze2:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 14:54 »
same here, I'm a bit out of the loop with motherboards at the moment, but I expect you will be able overclock one with an onboard cooling system, though you might want to think about this when you choose the one to get. Personally I don't like overclocking.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 15:25 »
I expect someone will be along soon to advise on the mobo, but did you realise that Intel CPUs come with their own cooler?  Well, my recent dual core did, anyway, so I assume they all do.

:) Every CPU comes with its own cooler, FREEZY , if your going to overclock you want something better that the stock HSF, i use a "  3RSystem Iceage 120".
It cools very well and is quiet it comes with amanual fan speed controller.
I believe "Thermalright"  make some decent coolers also.
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2141

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 06:38 »
Overclocking for someone experienced is gambling with your warranty. Overclocking for a beginner is trading your warranty for a paperweight.

Gigabyte has always been a really cheap reliable brand for me. They are the ones I buy and recommend. EVGA is a little more expensive, but i haven't seen or heard of any reliability problems.

Newegg.com is a real nice handy little site to compare and read about the experiences of others. They have decent prices too.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum