Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Software piracy falls in UK  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Software piracy falls in UK
« on: May 15, 2008, 15:41 »
Levels of software piracy in the UK remain at an "unacceptable level", according to the Business Software Alliance (BSA).

That's despite the fact that piracy in the UK actually fell in 2007. However, it only dropped by one per cent, to 26 per cent, the BSA said.

"The fact remains that an unacceptable level of UK organisations still flout software licensing regulations," said Julie Strawson, chair of the BSA UK Member Committee.

The BSA said that using unlicenced software, many companies were unable to get vital security updates for products. This could have serious consequences, it warned.

"By using software illegally, businesses are undermining the software industry - a massive revenue generator for the UK – and also putting themselves at risk of losing data and incurring both financial penalties and serious damage to reputation," Strawson continued.

www.bsa.org

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Software piracy falls in UK
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 16:06 »
guess we are all slowly moving to open source??
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 20:35 »
Talking of which, I installed Open Office on my new PC, but I found it wasn't fully compatible with my existing Excel documents, and as I have five years of accounts in this format, I had to revert to MS Office.  Problem was, it insisted on displaying zero amounts as £0.00, instead of a blank space, and I couldn't find a way to stop it doing so.  Also, it's a shame it doesn't include a calendar, but I'm using Mozilla Sunbird, which is open source, and works very well.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 21:03 »
hmm, that seems odd that it is compatible... if you give me more specifics I might be able to help (are you using the latest version?). Are we just talking about the zero amounts or other issues (the file format?)? You can change the formatting.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 21:45 »
No, it's just zero amounts, Sam.  Say, on a blank invoice template, I have 5 entries, all of £10.  Well, the £10 displays as £10.00, and the total displays correctly at the bottom, but then you get the rest of the amount column filled up with £0.00, which looks messy, and not how the template was created.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 22:08 »
hmmm... I'll have a think, you may just need to tweak the template a little.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 22:11 »
TBH, it's not worth a lot of hassle, Sam, as I have MS Office installed now, but it would be interesting to find out what the problem was.  The trouble is, fixing it on the blank template would be OK for future invoices, but it would still leave me with 5 years worth of previous records, which wouldn't display properly.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 00:21 »
Looks like its ideal for dodgy accounting Simon, its always handy to have a program that calculates your profit as £0.00 for tax purposes  ;D

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 04:16 »

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 06:41 »
Looks like its ideal for dodgy accounting Simon, its always handy to have a program that calculates your profit as £0.00 for tax purposes  ;D

lol
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 06:42 »
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:50 »

I wish it did, Sandra!   :bawl:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum