Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: pc keeps shutting down  (Read 2472 times)

Offline nobby3

pc keeps shutting down
« on: June 20, 2008, 20:49 »
Hi i have a problem with a pc it keeps shutting down and will not start back up until i have turned it off at the mains i don't think it is the psu because it is not that old i first thought it might be processor over temp so have installed another fan then the problem went away but now it is back could it be a ram problem any suggestions would be very great full thank you james

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: pc keeps shutting down
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 22:18 »
Hi James,

Have you checked the error logs for any clues?  Right click My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > System. 

Does it shut down like the power has been cut, or does it actually close down properly, albeit by it's own accord?

It might be worth just popping into the case and making sure all the fans are working, and that all the cards and memory modules are seated securely and correctly.

I expect someone else will be along later with some more questions / ideas.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 22:43 »
what OS are you using?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 12:59 »
Hi James,

Have you checked the error logs for any clues?  Right click My Computer > Manage > Event Viewer > System. 

BLIMEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I didnt know of that facility    :D  you learn something every day.  Nice one Simon

can you delete the logs in it as there is quite a few in mine.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 13:05 »
You can do, Baz under the Actions menu, but the log file is limited to 512KB by default, so there's no real need to, as it overwrites the oldest ones anyway.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 13:20 »
ah ok thanks Simon

Offline gmax

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008, 15:44 »
Hi i have a problem with a pc it keeps shutting down and will not start back up until i have turned it off at the mains i don't think it is the psu because it is not that old i first thought it might be processor over temp so have installed another fan then the problem went away but now it is back could it be a ram problem any suggestions would be very great full thank you james
You should be able to check the CPU temp in  the bios,did you remove the cover from the PC and check that the CPU fan was working before changing it? it's unlikely faulty ram will make your PC turn off. I repaired a PC last week with the same symptoms.
The problem was the PSU, are the caps on the motherboard bulging?, all the pci cards & ram seated correct?.
Cheap yum chum PSU's  have a pretty high failure rate, i would try another PSU .

Offline David

• Loyal Member
  • http://Wormdive_2
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 19:43 »
BLIMEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I didnt know of that facility    :D  you learn something every day.  Nice one Simon

can you delete the logs in it as there is quite a few in mine.

Thanks Simon I just found this facility thanks to reading this  :thumbs:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum