Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Thinkpad 600E Error  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
Thinkpad 600E Error
« on: June 24, 2008, 17:06 »
Okay so I got this 6 months ago as a first laptop for my son.

Think(pad)ing now I should have just paid the extra and got a decent one but still.

Its coming up with an error message 08611 - which seems to be a trackpoint or a keyboard error.

I phoned the company I got it from and they will replace the complete keyboard for £29.00 - with no labour seeing as its only 6 months old (only 30 days guarantee on refubs) And I have to get it there and pick it up, but its not that far only Redhill.

But......... I have read that this doesn't solve the problem, there are alot of pages on this message, and I'm having trouble finding anything that makes sense lol i had also read that it might just need reseating..... I wonder if I can do this.

Does anyone have any ideas what I should do or experience with this problem?
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Thinkpad 600E Error
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 17:33 »
I'd have a word with your local Trading Standards dept, Michelle. I think the firm may be in breach of their statutory duties.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 17:42 »
yes, I agree with Rik before you do anything try this... I'll have a look at the error message - when does it come up?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 17:47 »
hmm I'm not sure, the paper work all says 30days, but that could be why they are wavering the labour charge, although the keyboard is for sale on ebay for £13.

The error message comes on start up. first the Ibm screen then just a black screen with 8611 then the error page.

(I saw somewhere to press control esc which took me somewhere but I didn't know what to do next ahahha!)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 18:35 »
hmm I'm not sure, the paper work all says 30days, but that could be why they are wavering the labour charge, although the keyboard is for sale on ebay for £13.

They can't abrogate their responsibilities under the Sale of Goods Act, but I'm not sure where things stand with refurbished goods, which is why I suggest you take advice before doing anything. Under the SoGA, the retailer has a liability for up to 6 years.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 18:43 »
Isn't that just with new goods though, Rik?  Otherwise, someone could buy something in a jumble sale, and take it back for a refund 6 years later.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 18:57 »
It covers the original purchaser, not the state of the goods afaik.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 19:03 »
But if goods are refurbs, then the buyer isn't the original purchaser, are they?  I have no authoritative knowledge, but I wouldn't think the 6 year rule would stand up in cases of second hand or refurbished goods.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 19:26 »
I didn't know that about the 6 years thing... thats interesting......

They do mention that you can purchase a longer guarantee.

Their website says......

All laptops advertised on this website carry a 30-day RTB hardware warranty as standard. The warranty begins on the day of despatch, where the buyer will receive an email confirming the despatch of goods from our base. If a fault develops during the warranty period we will discuss via email/phone conversations to determine the fault and try to guide the user to a solution - we do not cover software faults by our warranty though we are happy to assist with technical enquiries as part of our customer service.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 12:07 »
All laptops advertised on this website carry a 30-day RTB hardware warranty as standard. The warranty begins on the day of despatch

That doesn't sound legal to me either, Michelle.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 12:57 »
That sounds more like business customers conditions rather than retail customers.

No point in pushing them too far as they are only trying to make a living, if they will sort it if you pay the bits considering you knew the stated warranty then fair doos i say.

Just watch they aren't overcharging for the required bits  :o:

That's if reseating doesn't work  :leer:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 13:07 »
the question is how do we do this...  Ok I've done some reading... can you actually use the keyboard at all? i.e. on the bios screen can you get into it?

I found this, which might be worth a try..  taken from: http://www.repairspot.com/thinkpad_8611_error__disabling.htm

Thinkpad 8611 error / disabling trackpoint on 600e via cmos

The 8611 error is telling you that the trackpoint or keyboard for the Thinkpad has stopped working.

This information has been collected from various sources on the internet, IBM website,

The following tip will help you in determining if it is a permanent keyboard error 8611 on all models of the Thinkpad 600 or a software glitch.

You can sometimes get the 8611 error:

* If an emergency power down is made by switching the system off during or while an application is open, then immediately switching the system on creates a 8611 error.
    * Repeatedly turning power off and back on without properly shutting down or allowing the system to shut itself down.

The Solution:

* Wait at least 6 seconds or longer after shutting down the system or before restarting to correct the 8611 error.

If the above doesn't work you will have to disable the Track Point:

I did the following procedure from information I found on the Internet, and it worked, only you will need to use a mouse with the laptop from that point on, you are basically turning off the trackpoint which is causing the error.

There is no guarantee this will work because it may also be the keyboard itself, so do at your own risk.
First go into the system config utility which you get forced into after the 8611 error is reported
Then go back to the main menu and enter the config.
When there press the control key and the d key at the same time..
Find and ensure you are on the -base 128 cmos- page.
Look for ofset 20h, (maybe a different number ##h) and in the1st column and 3rd row and change the number to 01.  On my Thinkpad the ofset was not 20h but 12h., so my ofset number wasn't the same but it is still 1st column, 3rd row.
When finished changing the number to 01 press the F2 key and then the F3 key.
Then exit out and restart the computer.

The computer should reboot with the trackpoint disabled.  And you will need to use a  mouse with the Thinkpad.

The following info was also sent to me from Dan.

I had the same problem as others, and found info on the site useful but I have found another way to get around this.

When the error loads up, let it get as far as possible, then there will be a restart button to click,  hit this then it will give the error number, a red symbol then the IBM book symbol.  Then hit F5 or F8 and it will lead you to the config.  When here, just select to load the computer normally and then you are ready to go!
n

- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 13:17 »
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 21:11 »
Thanks for looking Sam - I did see that first one, but i don't know how to get into the config, and it looked a bit confusing........... it seems the keyboard might work as I did get into something but not sure what it was.  :dunno:

Will have a look at the lemoncube one now.

Thanks again.

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 21:14 »
oh lol that looks clearer and it tells you how to get into config, thanks I'll try that later   :thumbs:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum