Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Which CPU/mobo to get?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline mrapoc

• Overclock3d.net Forums and Review site
Which CPU/mobo to get?
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:51 »
Firstly

Hi all, yes it is mrapoc from idnetters  :crazy: *please dont run away*  :woot:

My e6300 is not cutting it any more (doesnt overclock far either) and my p5b deluxe board doesnt allow sufficiant tweaking of ram settings for my 4gb reaperx set - again stopping overclocking.

I am no longer going to consider Nehalem as initial prices will be stupidly big and they will be 1st revisions. So it now boils down to which board and which cpu to get?

My first thoughts are a DFI x38 and a Q6600 (SLACR G0) which will come to £200 onl  Immortal Gaming. Will be good to see how these guys perform. (As an oc3d member we get 10% off :D)  I say a new board as the p5b deluxe doesn't support my ram as it should (something to do with asus locking a crucial ram setting, forcing me to flash the ram and config by SPD!!!

ARGH

So a good board for overclocks and not really Asus and a CPU which runs cool and likes a good overclocking (so far its either a q6600 or an e8***) not too sure but altho the quad is on a larger nm size, its been known to go to 4ghz easily enough - plus i can see more games moving to supporting quad (by the time i can afford a new nehalem anyway)
Intel e6300 @ 2.8ghz 1.4v
Asus P5b deluxe
OCZ Reaperx 4gb PC2-8000
OCZ Gamextreme 600w
2x 320gb Seagate 7200.10
EVGA nVidia 8800gt 512mb

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Which CPU/mobo to get?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 11:02 »
Hi Sam, and  :welcome:

Not being a gamer, most of the above doesn't mean a thing to me, but I'm sure someone will be along with some ideas soon.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline mrapoc

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 11:13 »
hey Simon and thanks

:laugh: well basically my current setup doesnt allow me to overclock much meaning im near enough still stuck on  a budget chip - which was considered budget a year ago! lol

so that means changing the two limiting factors (the mobo and cpu). Asus seems to limit the TRFC tweaking to lower than what my ram needs so thats why the new board is needed (non asus).

I say quad as, well nehalem aint gonna be cheap when it comes out (i take it you have heard of nehalem, its basically as revolutionary as core2duo was - bad news for AMD) so by then im guessing quad will be mainstream and my q6600 will be able to hold its own for a while
Asus P5b deluxe
OCZ Reaperx 4gb PC2-8000
OCZ Gamextreme 600w
2x 320gb Seagate 7200.10
EVGA nVidia 8800gt 512mb

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15 »
Hi mrapoc and  :welcome:

I'm not sure there's many hardcore gamers on pals but these links may help you...

Motherboard Reviews

Graphic Card Reviews

HTH  :icon_cowboy:

Edit: Also CPUs and Memory
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:18 by Camstop »

Offline mrapoc

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:21 »
heya and thanks

according to that my 8800gt was a good buy at 10/10 score  :woot: so w00t

that site doesnt review the DFI board but my regular home Overclock3d has the review and im yet to doubt the reviews on there.

are there any resident overclockers here?
Asus P5b deluxe
OCZ Reaperx 4gb PC2-8000
OCZ Gamextreme 600w
2x 320gb Seagate 7200.10
EVGA nVidia 8800gt 512mb

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:48 »
welcome mrapoc,

sounds like your into gaming big style, I equate gaming to the "arms race" in that there is a mind set that you gotta have at least what the other guys got, but with a burning desire to have better.........an armaments, or in this case, a component sellers dream.

Now not being an avid gamer [ I play COD2, and Brothers in Arms EIB occasionally ] and not on-line. Obviously because I don't want my but kicking by guys who have mortgaged the house to have the biggest fastest kick a@se hardware out there. Hell I did not get COD4 because I'm on W2K Pro and it ain't supported,  I bought that 6 years ago on Ebay for a tenner............yes I'm that tight.   :) I built my second PC about 20 months ago, but still installed the W2K....Nvida 7600GT.....1GB memory.....  ::) 

Love to see your rig and spec though, when you finally build it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:56 by Tony »
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline mrapoc

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 12:09 »
hehe

well i do enjoy gaming on it and i consider it my main source of media in the house

i wouldnt go as far saying i have to have equal or better as iv been behind for quite a while now  :ack: unlike some pc enthusiasts my funds are quite limited and im always looking to get the best for my money (why i overclock - you get more for your money).

other than that its an addictive hobby - nothing better than building a pc, adding to it over the years and then selling it off for a new project. bit expensive mind u

im gonna hav a looky at asus rampage now as iv been advised the dfi has too many issues ( i just hope my ram will like the asus this time round)
Asus P5b deluxe
OCZ Reaperx 4gb PC2-8000
OCZ Gamextreme 600w
2x 320gb Seagate 7200.10
EVGA nVidia 8800gt 512mb

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum