Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Britain from Above  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Britain from Above
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:14 »
A new BBC series makes use of satellite technology to create stunning images of Britain from above.

Andrew Marr presents the series Britain from Above, the first episode of which will be broadcast on Sunday 10 August at 2100 on BBC One.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7539529.stm
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
Re: Britain from Above
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:14 »
big brother is watching you.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 13:59 »
Thanks Simon.  :D

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 22:05 »
I watched it earlier tonight and have to say it was fascinating to watch how phantom traffic jams are caused by just one person applying his brakes because he finds himself driving too close to the vehicle in front.  That causes the cars behind to brake in sequence until they eventually come to a stop for no reason at all.  Even after the traffic jam has cleared, further jams are formed as the ripple travels for many miles down the motorway.   

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 23:04 »
clive - its fluid dynamics.... I've seen some fascinating analogues over time with this and some of the codes are almost identical.

I too enjoyed the perspective but something seemed odd about it, I don't know maybe because it was a bbc documentary - it had too much of that feeling about it. A bit like panorama.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 00:36 »
I watched it earlier tonight and have to say it was fascinating to watch how phantom traffic jams are caused by just one person applying his brakes because he finds himself driving too close to the vehicle in front.  That causes the cars behind to brake in sequence until they eventually come to a stop for no reason at all.  Even after the traffic jam has cleared, further jams are formed as the ripple travels for many miles down the motorway.  

It's like most crashes, well, all crashes are caused by one person's act of stupidity or moment of lost concentration.  You don't get two drivers intent on crashing into each other!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Reno

• Established Member
  • ø¤º° bob °º¤ø
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:37 »
Edit: Hope they don't zoom in too close.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 10:39 by Reno »

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum