Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Disk Image recovery  (Read 2685 times)

Offline thegallery

Disk Image recovery
« on: August 11, 2008, 14:05 »
My 70 Gig HD failed. Fortunately I had a disk image from 2 months ago. I put in a new 320GB drive and imaged the old HD from my backup drive. Everything worked great.

Problem is now the computer only sees the new drive as a 70Gig drive. Plus, I've used up that space almost entirely. Is there a way to expand the drive? Or partition it without losing info?

Under Properties, Tab: General it says
Type: Local Disk
File System: NTFS

When I look at "volume" in properties of the HD I see nothing. I click "populate" and still nothing.

Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Disk Image recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 15:00 »
Hopefully someone will be along soon with some ideas, TG.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 18:33 »
any chance you can copy all the material off that drive and reformat it back up to its original size?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline thegallery

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 18:43 »
No, not unless I do it all through DOS somehow and lose another day's fiddling with it. I see the only option really is getting yet another external drive.

When I restored the disk image using a Windows disk there was no option for partitioning it that I can remember. I guess the drive now is stuck thinking it is just 70Gigs?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 18:49 »
possibly, I'm unsure to how windows does this things... was you using windows software or another software. Also where did the disk image live before? Surely you have that space? or is that going back into dos?

Saying all this, I always think having a backup drive that is external is a good thing.. so if you did get one it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline thegallery

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 18:57 »
Yeah, I thought I'd have to reimage the drive to my back up drive (already have one) then format my new HD and partition it, then reinstall the disk image to a partition.

But Vista it turns out has a "Disk Management" thing where it was able to show me the rest of the disk and allow me to partition it. It's in the process now. Hopefully this will work out then....  ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 20:26 »
Let us know how you get on, TG.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum