Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Monitor Replacement  (Read 5119 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Monitor Replacement
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:45 »
My monitor has died after many years of faithful service :( .  Does anyone have any suggestions for a replacement?

Re-visiting the last thread, it is not a requirement that any new monitor should be made of wood ;) !
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Monitor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 12:15 »
What do you plan to do with it, Gill, eg photo-editing, general computer use, games playing etc?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 12:36 »
I haven't bought a monitor for a few years, but the Samsung range seems to be highly rated, and fairly reasonably priced, Gill.  Not sure what size you want, but something like this, perhaps?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 15:29 »
I just want a monitor for general computing purposes.  The only game I ever play is Civilisation 4, which doesn't need good graphics.  I do manipulate photographs, but only to reduce them to outline drawings for scroll saw patterns.  My computer is used mainly for editing recorded television programmes, although I like to compress them in order to save as much hard drive space as possible.

Cammy, thanks for those links.  Reading the forum discussions is enough to induce inertia in any prospective buyer ::) , but I do like the look of the Acer.  It would be quite a step up from my old LG L1715S.

There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 15:43 »
Cammy, thanks for those links.  Reading the forum discussions is enough to induce inertia in any prospective buyer ::) , but I do like the look of the Acer.  It would be quite a step up from my old LG L1715S.

I haven't read through them but you get all sorts of reply's and it can be hard picking out the useful posts.  ::)

I like Dell and it's never let me down. I'm not all that convinced on Acer as far as notepads go, they usually seem good spec for the price but have a bad customer service from what i hear  ':|

The Dell is 23" and the Acer is 24"

If i wasn't bothered about the extra inch  :)x  i'd personally go with the Dell.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 16:01 »
Seconded.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 16:02 »
What about the Samsung, Gill?  Are you looking for bigger than 19"?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 19:43 »
I had not overlooked the Samsung, Simon, although I owe you an apology for not acknowledging your suggestion earlier.  The Samsung would probably meet my needs admirably and it is good value.  I wish I knew what I was looking for!  Those 23"/24" monitors are so tempting because they would be useful for watching movies made in the latest format.  That said, the Samsung is 16:9 so there would be little loss of effective screen.

One customer has spoken of the Dell's propensity to overheat, so I am reluctant to go that route.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 21:14 »
Personally, I think I would find a 23/24 inch monitor too big to sit in front of for any length of time, but I know plenty of people that do use them.  I only picked the Samsung because it seems good value, is a reasonable size, and I believe they have a robust reputation.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 01:07 »
Dont forget that you need a few inches more for a widescreen 16:9 than for a standard 4:3 monitor Gill.
You need a 21 or 22 16:9 to give a similar screen area to a 19 4:3

I have a 19 inch 4:3 as my main monitor and bought a 19 inch 16:9 to use on the computer thats also connected to my HD TV, thinking it would be better as theyd be using the same format. The actual area is nearer to the old 17 inch 4:3 that I was using before.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 10:44 »
I tried to buy from eBuyer but their security system won't accept my payment.  I once purchased something from them a few years ago but I have since married and changed my name.  Perhaps eBuyer's customers are not expected to marry so there is no need for a facility to enable customers to change their surnames.

:(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 11:09 »
Just set up a new account, Gill.  :)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 12:35 »
That was what I did in the end, Simon.  It took some doing!

Oh, and one of these found its way into my basket too :) .

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 13:09 »
However did that happen, Gill?  :)x

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum