Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Why are flat panel monitors so big compared to laptop displa  (Read 1427 times)

Offline thegallery

I want to purchase a flat panel monitor, and after waiting literally years before I could afford this luxury I now want one that is as sleek as possible. I am confused as to why most flat panel monitors, with few exceptions, seem to have 1" plus encasements around them, and tend to be over 1? thick? While laptop displays often have well less than 1/2 an inch and are often less than 1/2" thick.. I would love to just have a high end  laptop monitor, or I'd love it if they'd make a laptop with a detachable monitor. The design of the Apple Cinema Display with the clear acrylic border really looks impressive, as well as their display in the iMacs. I want the same thing, a nice sleek flat panel monitor floating out on the end of an arm. I have seen a Samsung monitor with a small encasement, but I am wondering what the hardware issue is that causes most manufactures to use so much of a border?

Any thoughts?

Adept

Re:Why are flat panel monitors so big compared to laptop dis
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 09:58 »
You're right thegallery, desktop LCD panels are much bigger than the laptop equivalents ???

It doesn't make much sense does it?

Presumably the electronics that drive the screen are below the keyboard on a laptop and have to be placed behind the LCD on a panel making it thicker - I'm only guessing here. I don't really know why ...

Adept

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 10:00 »
You're right thegallery, desktop LCD panels are much bigger than the laptop equivalents ???

It doesn't make much sense does it?

Presumably the electronics that drive the screen are below the keyboard on a laptop and have to be placed behind the LCD on a panel making it thicker - I'm only guessing here. I don't really know why ...

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 10:07 »
You know what they say when people start repeating themselves don't you Adept?   :heehee:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 10:10 »
You know what they say when people start repeating themselves don't you Adept?    :heehee:

Adept

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 10:14 »
:heehee:  :P

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum