Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: QNAP NAS not showing up on ONE laptop  (Read 8943 times)

Offline Moreno

QNAP NAS not showing up on ONE laptop
« on: December 01, 2009, 10:13 »
Hi guys,

Its been a long time since I have had to call on the wisdom of these wise walls, so here I go....

Basically I have installed a QNAP Nas on my network, it is of course always on and I can see it on my laptop running windows 7. I have easily mapped drives from my machine so that I can easily access them via the laptop.

Now the problem starts when I try to do the same on my GF's laptop. It is a HP laptop running windows 7 also. It came up once in the my computer section and I mapped it under my credentials, but then I deleted them again to reconnect them under hers. Now I cant see it and every time I try to connect using the path name it just says it is not correct.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: QNAP NAS not showing up on ONE laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 10:27 »
Hi Moreno,

I'm not familiar with your type of set up, or with Windows 7 yet, but someone will be along to help soon. :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Moreno

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 10:34 »
thanks Simon

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 13:27 »
I cant think of anything off hand at the moment and havent time to look into it today but if no one has sorted you out by the next time I get on I will see if I can help.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 14:04 »
I have to admit, I don't even know what QNAP is, but would it be worth running the Network Setup Wizard on second laptop again?  The only other think I can think of is a firewall blocking something.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Moreno

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 14:49 »
Thanks guys....QNAP is a great network storage device, its a superb piece of kit!

Right I am going to try these, firewall first, then the network discovery...will report back guys....thanks

Offline Moreno

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 14:47 »
Right tried the firewall option and also tried turning the file sharing option off and then on again....to no avail. Will try the network discovery disc to see if that helps!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 15:07 »
Have you deleted the second laptop connection from both machines?  Sorry, clutching at straws with this at the moment.  :dunno:

Offline Moreno

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 15:21 »
Sorry, unsure what you mean with that....please explain

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 17:32 »
Sorry, I thought you were trying to network two laptops, but I've just read your original post again.  Scrub that idea!  :)  All I was getting at was, maybe you need to fully delete the second laptop from the network, in order to start afresh.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 17:50 »
It might not be a bad idea anyway...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Moreno

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 19:03 »
SO you mean maybe taking mine off the network and seeing  if it picks up hers? Even when mine is not turned on hers does not find it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 21:24 »
No, remember I don't know what this QNAP thing is, or how it works.  I was thinking that it was simply a case of one laptop not seeing the other, but it's not as simple as that, is it?  I think you should either wait for Sandra, or someone else, to advise, as I'm really out of my depth here, and wouldn't want to make things worse for you.  Alternatively, you could try http://forum.qnap.com/.

Sorry we haven't been much help on this occasion.  :(

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 01:45 »
SO you mean maybe taking mine off the network and seeing  if it picks up hers? Even when mine is not turned on hers does not find it.

I'd try that....

Also I'd check the firewall settings, just in case it is blocking anything. I assume both machines are basically running the same software etc?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Moreno

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 07:58 »
Hi guys,

Right it was a success. I downloaded the qnap finder app and installed it. It found the NAS straight away and I connected to it, but it still did not show up via the my computer window. SOooo in the qnap settings I could connect to the drive via FTP which then made it appear in the my computer window thus allowing me to map network drives for each folder....wahoo!!! All done!

Seriously guys, if you haven't got one of these you should take a look at them. I bought the TS109 with a 1tb hd and it has been awesome.

thanks for your help everyone!!! much appreciated!

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum