Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Low-density lipoprotein receptor reduces damage in Alzheimer's brain  (Read 1858 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
The low-density lipoprotein receptor (LDLR) has received a lot of attention because of its connection with coronary heart disease and atherosclerosis, but now it appears as if it may have a beneficial influence in degenerative brain diseases. New research, published by Cell Press in the December 10th issue of the journal Neuron, links LDLR with a reduction in brain changes associated with Alzheimer's disease (AD) and suggests a new therapeutic strategy for this incurable disease.

http://www.physorg.com/news179590178.html
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
I know a few people with Alzheimer's and it's a really dreadful condition to have.  Particularly for those who have to look after them.   :(

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Yes, it's almost worse for the carer than the sufferer.  :(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Having been there, I'll second that. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Luckily, I haven't been there.  :x:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
It's certainly a tough place to be. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
My husband looks after Alzheimer sufferers for a living.  It's very poorly paid work and there's no job security, but he loves it.

BBC 2 is showing a very good series about care homes (and most residents in care homes have some form of dementia) by Gerry Robinson.  I saw it the other night and it almost made me weep.  There's so much more that we as a society could and should be doing for these poor people.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I'd agree with you there, Gill. The staff I have met in homes have generally been caring and compassionate, but they are under-resourced and there's insufficient places available as a whole.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
I'd agree with you there, Gill. The staff I have met in homes have generally been caring and compassionate, but they are under-resourced and there's insufficient places available as a whole.

and its only going to get worse with an aging population
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I'm trying to book my space now. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Don't bother Rik.  If you go down with Alzheimer's it won't bother you.  It'll bother the Dickens out of everyone around you, but you'll be blissfully unaware of that.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
No change there, then.   :devil: :)x

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
I do that all the time Gill.   ;D

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
No change there, then.   :devil: :)x

:wahh: ;D
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
 :santa:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum