Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Printer not printing fonts  (Read 1879 times)

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
Printer not printing fonts
« on: April 13, 2003, 20:31 »
I've recently brought a second hand hp deskjet 690C printer.
when i print anything all colours are there except for the black or fonts.
They are even missing when i print a test page but the black is there when i clean the cartridges.

I've downloaded the latest drivers and searched hp site for answers but to no avail.

Before anyone asks....yes there is ink in the black cartridge  ::)

Has anyone any ideas  :P   :help:

:yoops: I've posted this in the wrong place...can somebody move it for me please  :-[
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
Re:Printer not printing fonts
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2003, 21:00 »
I would say you have posted it in the right place, Greenking. After all it is hardware. I have an hp printer. Did you install the software first before connecting the printer?. Then did you search for new hardware being added.  No doubt someone more qualified than me will come along with better advice. I can't think of anything else, other than the printer is faulty and serves you right for buying a cheap printer ;D ;D ;D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2003, 21:08 »
I'm not sure about that model of printer, but does it take two cartridges? if so is the black one seated correctly, ie are the contacts clean and working?

What OS are you using? as I had trouble with 98se and my HP550C printer ... it works fine with XP, but for some reason the drivers just wouldn't work with 98se  :-\

I'll try to see if I can get a hold of the original drivers for the HP and send them to you
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Adept

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2003, 21:30 »
I have no idea GK, but if you can wait until tomorrow, I'll ask my printer engineer what he thinks.

(I don't want to worry you, but we have a stack of dead HP 690C printers over 6 foot high in our workshops ;))

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2003, 21:34 »

(I don't want to worry you, but we have a stack of dead HP 690C printers over 6 foot high in our workshops ;))

So, Greenking, my answer wasn't that far off the mark.  You have been sold a pig in a poke ;D ;) ;D
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2003, 18:20 »
:sokay: Panic over  8)

I ran a communication test from computer to printer and wasn't geting 100% feedback from it.

Got some electrical spray from work and sprayed all the conections and everything is running nicely now.

If I ever need any spares Adept.....I now know where to find a six pile of em  ;) ;D ;D

:thanks: all for your efforts  :)
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Adept

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2003, 18:50 »
:-[ Sorry I didn't get back to you GK. I've been out of the office most of the day today.

Glad you got it sorted anyway :)

Out of interest, was it the contacts on the cartridges that you cleaned?

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2003, 20:18 »
I cleaned the cartridge contacts and also sprayed the cable plugs so which of them cured it i'm not sure  :)

Adept

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2003, 21:47 »
Probably the cartridge contacts GK. HP uses some sticky stuff to keep the plastic rip-off protection in place.

Sometimes the sticky stuff doesn't come off cleanly and stops the cartridge from connecting to the printer properly.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum