Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Banshee and Android Rock Together . . . Or Why Ubuntu Should Drop Rhythmbox  (Read 4062 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=441

To a Linux user like myself, an iPod is more or less a fancy paperweight; since Apple does not provide a version of iTunes for Linux.  Yes, it sorta works in Wine and does work well in a VirtualBox… but, really, why bother?  Even if there was an iTunes client for Linux, I probably wouldn’t want to use it when there are already sleeker, faster and more complete media players for Linux available like Banshee, Songbird and Amarok.  This doesn’t mean I don’t get a little jealous about the iPod/iTunes experience, though.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Can you d/l from iTunes though, Sam?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
not sure - I've not tried Banshee yet... gonna have a go this afternoon. TBH I never use iTunes to download music. If I'm gonna by music online I prefer play.com. I also don't really like the iTunes on my mac interface. I prefer Amarok or rythmnbox - nice and simple.

I sometimes miss winamp...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Have you tried Amazon for d/l?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
nope I haven't. I keep meaning to but then my play.com account is so simple... so I tend to just go there and they are normally similarly priced.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I guess that's why I use Amazon and haven't tried Play.com. Inertia rules OK.  :thumbs:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
really scary thing happened the otherday though - I went into a shop!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
 :o

I hope you'll feel better soon, Sam. Just a thought, if you d/l from Amazon while you're over there, won't you get better prices?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
I normally use Play too.  It just seems more straightforward than Amazon.  You get the music in a .zip file with no faffing about.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
OTOH, Amazon integrates into iTunes.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
:o

I hope you'll feel better soon, Sam. Just a thought, if you d/l from Amazon while you're over there, won't you get better prices?

amazon.ca - not sure - technology here is a bit antiquated... and more expensive (I need to head to the US). Also I like to use my British credit card...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I wonder if you'd get away with accessing the US site?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
possibly but I know for example they were really picky about Canadians buying the Kindle from the US site.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
OTOH, Amazon integrates into iTunes.

I haven't got iTunes.  ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum