Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Astronomy Without A Telescope – How To Impress An Alien (Or Not)  (Read 1033 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
It's about fifty years since Frank Drake sent out our first chat request to the wider universe. I say about as I think the official date is 11 April 1960 – but I notice a lot of fifty year anniversary blogs and interviews are already being published, so what the heck, I'm not waiting either.

http://www.universetoday.com/2010/03/20/astronomy-without-a-telescope-how-to-impress-an-alien-or-not/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Drake's initial communication efforts in Project Ozma were small scale, but his clever and carefully constructed Arecibo message out to Messier 13 (a globular cluster of approximately 300,000 stars) in 1974 aroused some criticism that telling the aliens where we are might result in an invasion.

This is a little implausible, since Messier 13 is 25,000 light years away. By the time the invasion fleet arrives we will either be long gone or have spent the intervening period developing the technology to blast them out of the sky if they don't turn back immediately

This sort of thing is very amusing because most of us have no idea how vast the distances are between the stars.  If, at some point in the future, we managed to travel at a tenth of the speed of light (which is a tall order) it would take 40 years to reach the nearest star.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
That could be one of your AFs, Clive.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
I know, silly distances. I swear people believe alien world are just round the corner. Silly sci-fi.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
That could be one of your AFs, Clive.  :)

AFs?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Amazing Facts.   ;)

Offline sam

• Administrator
ah I see.

No wonder google couldn't help me with that. I came up with an exhausting list but not that. Dumbass.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Clive's AFs are not on Google?  We are extinct!   :bawl: :)x
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
Bloody hell!  Fame at last!   ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
they are all there too...  :crazy:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Copyright!   ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
oh well, never mind.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum