Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Problem PC gettin stuck!  (Read 6222 times)

Offline nanobyte

Problem PC gettin stuck!
« on: April 16, 2010, 00:28 »
Hi... i have a real annoying problem, and please you can give me some help!  :thumbs:

I use two operating systems, and the problem happen in both so i discard software as the source of problem

My PC get stuck anytime, it doesn't matter if i'm using the pc or not, it happens anytime..

If I'm playing it and the pc is going to "crash" the game sounds like "tick tick tick" and then STUCK I cant move do anything all gets frozen (even in Ubuntu, i cant go to the terminal... the keyboard doesn't respond, even the bloq num led gets stuck), only solution is to press reset button, AND even if i'm not playing the pc get stuck.... but this happens faster if i'm playing... ( The video card doesn't have artifacts or something, so i doubt it's that)

Any idea of what could be?

My system is a

ya ya dont laugh D:

Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
Intel 865 GLC
Nvidia Geforce 6600GT
1 500gb hard drive wester digital SATA
1 40gb  "                 "  IDE
I have unplugged my dvd drives
Generic PSU 450W

Thanks any help!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Problem PC gettin stuck!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 00:46 »
Could the graphics card be overheating?  Does it have a fan on it, and have you checked this is working?   Not sure what the 'tick tick tick' is though. 

:welcome:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 00:53 »
what game?

How are you running it on Ubuntu - through Wine I assume?

In Ubuntu if the machine crashed you might be able to go Ctrl+Alt+F1 (through the rest) to get a terminal login (F7 is the graphical display)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:19 »
Possibly a drive failing?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 13:41 »
From the way you talk you are using a dual boot system

sounds lie a memory problem
Do you have any program that enhances memory?

The tick-tick sounds the same as Cleanmem  makes when it cleans the memory

And it could also be you have to many programs running in the back ground using all the processor speed

I have had both these problems with the same effects you say you have

just an idea
 others here will be much better help
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 13:42 by davy51 »
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline nanobyte

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 22:26 »
Well i think i fixed it...i'm still testing. I bought a 800W PSU today and i'm playing normally without problems yet.... my old PSU had the 4pin that is plugged in the mobo burnt... so i decided to buy a new one and try.

the tick tick tick, came from the speakers if anything was playing.

in ubuntu i wasnt able to go terminal as I said, i'm playing world of warcraft trough wine ofc lastest dev release.

the problem wasnt graphics because I even tried to load my bluetooth and lol, my system got stuck.

for now problem solved i think... dont close this topic yet! i need more testing! if i dont reply this in 1 week xD go ahead

thanks for replies :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 00:06 »
Thanks for the update.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 05:15 »
in ubuntu i wasnt able to go terminal as I said, i'm playing world of warcraft trough wine ofc lastest dev release.

I had assumed you just meant within the graphical environment.

Glad you have made a step forward though.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline nanobyte

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 22:01 »
 ;D  after a few hours playing, it started to rain, and after few mins .... my pc crashed like before D: .... all voltages and temp were ok! i have pics xD... it was working nicely tilll today, what could it be? D:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 22:16 »
Well, using it out in the rain might not help.  ;D

Can you tell us a bit more about the two operating systems?  Are they on separate drives, or one partitioned drive, and what are they?  Is there anything in particular you are doing when the crashes occur, or are they totally random?  You said they happen whether or not you are using the PC, but do have background processes running at the time?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think we're going to need a clearer picture of what's going on, before we can come up with some answers, otherwise it's just guesswork.  :)

Offline nanobyte

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 22:59 »
well i'm only using ubuntu atm I hate windows and virus updates :D

I have 1 drive 40gb with ubuntu and 1 drive 500gb windows, but grub has the control, without grub windows cannot boot.

it doesnt matter if i have the 500gb drive mounted or not, it crashes.... same if i'm playing or not.... now i was  converting pics and then crashed... so it's random....

After 1 crash (i was playing), i press reset, then after the ubuntu loaded CRASH... i didnt even move the mouse.... theres no msg, nothing just all gets frozen.

this started to happen after this damn rain and that thunder D: .... maybe it damaged something? again?.....

i'm starting to think that my cpu is damaged now xD... or maybe my motherboard but.... this is a p4 I'm not buying more p4 things D: is a waste of money...

I did a memtest no errors
voltages seems to be ok
temps are ok
cpu fan 4000 rpm
cpu 60º - temp2 45º - temp3 54º - gpu 47º
the psu is new o_o

what else can i test?

graphics doesnt show any artifacts

how can i test my cpu? in linux or windows...

SORRY if my english is hard to understand xD

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 23:18 »
Your English is fine.  :)

I'm not sure if Ubuntu has an error console, like Windows, but if it does, is there anything in there which might give a clue?

I'm afraid this is a bit too technical for me, but I am sure someone will be able
to help soon. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 00:56 »
before doing anything else I'd check your ram - you can do on boot up in grubb. If you need to: Hit escape when you boot to reveal the grub menu and Pick memtest86.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:47 by sam »
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline nanobyte

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 03:11 »
Ok guys, : D   i think i found it... but i bet this is the consequence of my old damaged psu

7 of 10 capacitors are damaged.... i think thats is possible to fix right? i just need the same capacitors and change them or ask someone to do it ?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:14 by nanobyte »

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 03:58 »
BTW - missed that you did memtest... hmmm, do you have more than one RAM stick?

I can't quite see what's going on in the pic but the middle one doesn't look good (nor the one on the right), but its hard to tell - reckon the electrolyte has vented.

Indeed you should be able to change them, might be a bit tricky doing this and what with the cost of a repair person might be cheaper just to replace the mobo.... and I guess these could lead to system irregularities especially if they are still sort of functioning.  What's the motherboard make? A while back (actually 5 years!) I heard that ABIT had a problem with capacitors on motherboards.  Bit more info on this problem can be found on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

An excellent guide on how to replace capacitors can be found at: http://www.capacitorlab.com/replacing-motherboard-capacitors-howto/index.htm

Thought I'd seriously consider the time taken compared to replacing the board.... especially as this might not be the route of the problem.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum