Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: problem  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: problem
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 21:15 »
You could try HijackThis, and see if you can remove Zango that way.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline nilsatis

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 22:10 »
Thanks Simon, I have just tried that but it didnt make much sense to me.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 23:07 »
Have you looked in Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs?  According to what comes up on Google, Zango is usually found there, and can be uninstalled.  For a fuller uninstallation and clean up, you might want to look at Revo Uninstaller.  The free version should hopefully do the job, but the Pro version is more comprehensive.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 02:21 »
When you get a popup run the Task Manager (ctrl/alt/del at the same time), then look at whats running, if you see a file just saying an alphabetic letter then .exe, eg A.exe  B.exe then I think its the same as I had once. Not sure if it was showing in applications or processes so check them both.
I think it was something lurking in the C/windows/Temp folder. Do a search for it as it was about 12 months ago when I had it and if you find the folder you may find 7 or 8 similar files, I had from A to H I think, delete them all and you should be OK.

Offline nilsatis

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 13:44 »
Tried all of that and its still playing up.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 13:53 »
We could spend days and weeks guessing.  It's looking like a format may be the easiest option.

Offline nilsatis

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 13:55 »
Sorry Simon.

Would formatting wipe everything??

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 15:53 »
A format wipes the MBR, so technically all the data is still there but the computer doesnt know how to find it, its a bit like ripping the index out of a book.
You will have to reinstall your OS and other programs and the virus or other nasty wont be able to infect it again.

Offline nilsatis

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 11:27 »
Ok folks thanks for your help, how do i go about formatting, idiots guide please.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 11:52 »
I haven't done a clean install for a while, so I'll leave the instructions to Sandra, rather than send you off in the wrong direction. Alternatively, assuming XP, there's instructions here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/clean_installation_of_windows_xp.htm
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 12:33 »
Sorry Simon.

Would formatting wipe everything??

No need to apologise.  :)  It's just that with this sort of problem, you could be going round in circles for ages, as some spyware makes itself extremely difficult to remove, and at the end of the day, if you backup your data, format, and reinstall Windows, you should end up with a nice clean system, which will run faster too.  :)  Just follow the instructions, but make sure you back up all your important data first, including address books, bookmarks / favourites, as well as your music / pictures / documents, and also be sure that you have driver CDs for any hardware that needs them.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 14:28 »
Hijak this should get rid of it
There may also be a program called Media Gateway, remove it as well

But it does sound like something else besides Zango

This program Combofix will get rid of whatever it is I have used it myself as a last resort to a compleat reinstall
Just follow the directions

http://u.nu/7w2x8

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 14:50 by davy51 »
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Offline nilsatis

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 15:13 »
Thanks Dave but that looks very complicated, I tried Hijackthis but again without knowing what to mess with I didnt use it.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2010, 15:26 »
These things may look complicated, but if you follow the instructions carefully, step by step, you should be OK.

Offline davy51

• Loyal Member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2010, 16:03 »
Thanks Dave but that looks very complicated, I tried Hijackthis but again without knowing what to mess with I didnt use it.

Combofix is not as complicated as it sounds and its about the only one that will get rid of some things

As long as you follow the step by step instructions it may save doing a compleat reinstall
Dave

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend

Albert Camus

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum