Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Physicists burst bubble mystery  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Physicists burst bubble mystery
« on: June 10, 2010, 18:15 »
With the help of high-speed video, scientists discover there is far more to bursting bubbles than meets the eye.

BBC

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: Physicists burst bubble mystery
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 18:24 »
Fascinating piece, Clive.  :thumbs:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 18:31 »
nice bit of a science there.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 19:23 »
Very impressive!   :D

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 19:29 »
Some time ago I was lampooned here for wondering if light waves could be bubbled.  I still wonder.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 19:34 »
I don't think you were lampooned - if I understand what the word meant...  I don't recall you replying to what I suggested.  I think this is the post you are talking about: http://www.pc-pals.com/smf/science-nature/an-idle-thought/
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 19:36 »
also weren't we talking about sound? I find that we can use the shockwave analogue there, but wouldn't find it hard with light
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 19:45 »
That's the thread, Sam.  I was just trying to visualise waves moving in a uniformly dense medium such as air rather than where mediums meet, such as air and water.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 19:52 »
I'm confused by that - sorry. I was thinking of a uniform medium not some complex discontinuity between two mediums.

I guess the best way to really describe sound leaving a point is a shell. Is a shock wave more than a bubble. I guess you could consider it a bubble around the point of origin.

It's not really a shock wave when sound is produced as we aren't talking about supersonic discontinuities but we are talking about a wave travelling from the point of origin and thus can really be thought of an ever emerging sphere.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 21:26 »
Hope you're following this, Gill.  :stars:  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 00:07 »
Trying hard, Simon :) .

I watch science programmes on TV (my hubby likes them and he's sort of dragged me along for the ride :) ) and they make me think about the world around me.  Perhaps if physics had been taught differently when I was at school my career might have taken a different path because I truly want to understand what is happening around me.  I don't want jargon.  I don't want dry formulae.  I want to see the beauty of our world and to understand how it is held together.  I want science to be prosaic first and then to look at the mechanisms that uphold it.  When I read a story, I'm gripped by the tale, by the plot and the characters.  If I wish, I can then study the story more intimately to understand how the author constructed it.  I want science to be like that.

Since leaving school I've tried several times to learn more about the world around me.  I even studied maths with the OU and got to the second year before quitting.  It wasn't because I wasn't good at it - I was regularly scoring in the high nineties - but because I got so frustrated when I didn't seem to be able to communicate with my tutor.  Yet he wasn't the first tutor I've come across who has caused me this sort of frustration; I experienced it with all my previous teachers at school bar one. That teacher wasn't supposed to be teaching me, but he gave me private tuition during break time because he knew how much I wanted to learn and he could see that my class teacher wasn't reaching me.  I scored a great exam result but my annual report gave me a 'D' because my class teacher felt my exam showed I could have done so much better in the classroom throughout the year!

I know I might be making suppositions that are an absolute load of tripe when it comes to science, but I'm talking about it because I want to understand.  I see a wave and I wonder why it's the shape it is.   I wonder if it's only that shape to us because of our own limited perception. I wonder how much our impression of it is distorted when we try to represent it on paper or in a water tank.   I wonder what a sine wave would look like if one was emanating from me and how it would differ from undulating toroids or bubbles.  I wonder what is actually moving to create that image and what forces govern the movement.

There's a lot that makes me wonder.  I feel sad when that wonderment and my attempts to fathom it are mocked.  I feel happy when others share my wonderment and don't deride me for it.  Perhaps one day I'll feel enlightened too - you never can tell :) .

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 00:21 »
Not quite sure how to respond to that. I didn't think I replied in a mocking way, and if I did I do apologise. I like to feel I'm open to discuss all things science, though I don't always have a good answer (or even an answer). I very much appreciate the world through equations and mathematics. That's how I understand what is going on around me.

I like to think I'm good at explaining things and will always attempt to give you an answer without sounding condescending. Of course, text on media like this don't necessarily bring over the description that is needed / the energy behind what is being said. I've always found descriptions of things by people in person much more enlightening. I found science and school fairly straightforward and not very engaging - though I had one Chemistry teacher who really got me thinking about things but it wasn't really until I got to University that I really appreciated the energy behind teaching.

I've interacted with many great people who can describe science really well. People like Simon Singh still give me a different viewpoint on things even if now I'm at the point of pushing our limits forward, it always good to be given a different view. I also love the challenge to describe things to people, though I do on occasion find it hard to find a middle ground (just thinking of Astronomy Societies, as Clive I'm sure would agree some very very strange questions do come out).

Anyway, what I'm really trying to say is by all means ask questions here - and hopefully there will be some kind of answer, though I understand it is infuriating when things that appear to be technobabble come out, but remember its not meant as a way of putting people off its just how us scientists are used to explaining things.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 00:47 »
I've read the thread, and admit that some of us didn't take it very seriously.  Apologies for that, Gill, I guess it's just part of the nature of this place.  I'm sure nobody meant any personal derision against you.  :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 11:03 »
I don't hold a grudge against anyone for the way that thread developed, although I found it irritating at the time.  It's hard for people to admit their ignorance and seek explanations!

There's a wealth of scientific knowledge on this forum (especially astro-physicists :) ) and everyone is normally very helpful, especially Sam. I sometimes think we don't realise the potential of our little online community.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 11:46 »
It's a point worth thinking about, Gill.  I wonder if it has enough mass appeal, though?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum