Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Just updating PC of SWMBO & found this in the Virus Vault of Anti Virus softwar!  (Read 5408 times)

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

Win32/Patched ER, How do I get rid of it?,I am Running MalwareBytes & SuperAntiSpyware at the moment on full scans,didn't find anything on a Quick scan.

Thanks in Advance............Jim

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
If it's in the 'virus vault', doesn't that mean it's been quarantined?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
ah I was about to ask how you knew you had it... but that explains it, didn't read the thread title properly.

Bit of info on how todo it manually: http://www.411-spyware.com/remove-trojan-win32-patched

http://fix-computer-problem.com/trojans/trojan_patched/trojan_patched.html

I'd actually try spybot too, always worth a shot.

Also I came across this:

Trojan.Win32.Patched does not actually exist, but is displayed by some rogue anti-spyware programs as a way of making claims of infection seem more credible and, ultimately, to get the user to buy the fake spyware removal program
related to it.

http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-trojan-win32-patched.html

What virus software are you running for it be in the vault?
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

Hi Guys, The PC is booting to the first screen then a second screen appears, the one says start Windows normally ,pressing enter gives no response the countdown continues,there is  a quick flash of the windows screen and the process begins again! It seemed o.k. after I had deleted it from the virus vault,the last thing she did was to install  an Adobe reader update,then pressed restart!

p.s.she has AVG

Offline Simon

• Administrator
The PS strikes terror to the heart!  As soon as this is sorted, change the AV.  We've heard lots of  instances of infections with AVG on board.

Will the machine boot into safe mode, Jim?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

No Simon, I can't understand it, if it was deleted from the vault it should have gone !
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 16:34 by TOFFEEMAN1878 »

Offline Simon

• Administrator
So, if it won't boot into safe mode, can you choose Last Good Configuration from the boot screen?  You may not be able to select the options with a USB keyboard.

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

No Simon ,I keep getting the same two screens from the first post ,I tried your suggestion with a cabled keyboard no joy there either,It,getting worse I just installed Karpensky Anti Virus on My PC & re tarted it & it says the data base is corrupted what next?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
That's just the Kaspersky data base, I expect.  Probably needs an update.

As for the main problem, it's a bit out of my depth, but have you got a windows CD you can boot from and use Recovery mode?  You'd need to Google for more details which I can't do from my phone.  Also,look up 'fixmbr' (fix master boot record), as that might work too.  Sorry for shooting in the dark.

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

Thanks for Trying Simon,starting to get a very dry mouth just now! does not look too good at the moment............Jim

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Are you sure it won't boot into safe mode, Jim?  From what you've said, it seems to be getting to the point where it should, then it might be a case of a simple System Restore.

I don't think the Recovery console is that difficult.  I just can't provide step by step instructions at the moment.

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

The first screen shows with the option to go into the Bios,the second with the options Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking ,Safe Mode with Command Prompt,Last Known Configuration & Start Windows normally ,if I select anyone of them I get the usual cascading screen of rolling files then it reverts back to the first two screens,I have tried Tech Guys .org no replies so far,as this is her business PC ,I have left a message with an IT guy I know but don't know if or when he will get back to me.I just don't want to risk The Recovery Console myself without Supervision,because if I lost all the data it would be a catastrophe.I would need some to post the procedure in plain English.....Jim 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
To be honest, Jim, I'm sorry to say that we don't have a resident Windows techie here at the moment, so we're stumbling along a bit.  There is this Microsoft help page, but I have to admit, the recovery console does seem more complex than I first thought.  As it's a business PC, and she obviously has important data on it, I think my best advice would be to seek hands on professional help.

Offline sam

• Administrator
Yeah, it looks like the boot up sequence has gotten corrupted somehow, be it a virus or something else.

I'd suggest, as Simon said boot off the Windows CD and go into the recovery console. Its pretty straight forward to use - but you have to have confidence I guess.

It does seem odd to me that it just craps out, out of interest if you boot from the Windows CD does it actually go into the recovery console or does it just crap out, would tell us if its an hardware issue as well. Let us know if it does actually boot and I'll look at some more detailed instructions, but it really does depend on what's going on. It could simply be the master boot record, but it sounds as if you are presented with options to boot from in windows. At the very least I'd boot of the recovery cd, hit R and run a disk scan:

CHKDSK -  scan to repair corrupted disks and files, especially if the computer cannot be started properly. This is the key command and will fix any issue, but you won't lose data, unless of course it is already lost.

Is the data backed up at all? If not you should be able to boot of a Linux Live CD too, we can go through this later too.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

Hi  guys, my wife asked  some she know to recommend an IT guy,he came out about 22.30 last night he said the Recovery Console  repair would still leave it unstable???? I have been through the RC ,Combi Fix Hi Jack,Ost etc myself but only under Supervision,This is a text message I received about 10 mins ago " I have backed up the data,Still not booting I'm on my 5th attempt to scan chkdsk making changes each time, disk has no physical errors,ram is o.k.
restored reg to sunday via another PC,but still no joy ,at some point we will have to go for a complete reinstall?????............Jim

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum