Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Just updating PC of SWMBO & found this in the Virus Vault of Anti Virus softwar!  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Sounds pretty serious!  Is her data on a different partition, or does she have backups?  If so, a clean install might be the best way to go. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

From what I can gather he is now making a copy of the hard Drive to excess all her data,will keep you posted ,the thing I really can understand is he says that when I deleted the file from the vault I must have deleted associated files with It?............Jim

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Didn't you say it was OK up to the Adobe update?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
From what I can gather he is now making a copy of the hard Drive to excess all her data,will keep you posted ,the thing I really can understand is he says that when I deleted the file from the vault I must have deleted associated files with It?............Jim

hmm - the does seem odd, its possible but that's not how the virus vault should work. If its an important file it should repair it, if not then it sticks it into the vault... that's what I thought anyway... but this would explain that checking the disk didn't do anything.

No matter what happens, when you get the machine back with all the data on it I'd virus scan the crap out of it.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

[/quote]
Didn't you say it was OK up to the Adobe update?

Yes Simon,He said the update activated whatever it was that messed the PC,up,anyway PC is back now fully functioning, Windows is up to date Service pack3 etc, strange nobody on here likes AGV he said he swears by it??? was very reasonable considering he came to my house at 22.30 last night picked the pc returned it at 1900 tonight £80 & that included travel from & to  his home.
From his Receipt.
Remove HD and run CHKDSK  after backing up files-No boot,Restore Reg to Sun4/7/10-No Boot.
Boot safe Mode-hanging at gag p30kx.sys,fit another graphics card-NB,set BIOS to defaults-
NB Boot with XP CD BSOD stop error 0x0000007B (OXF7802524) Run HD Test o.k. CHKDSK
reports no space,though disk>60% Free,deleted pagefil sys & ( a word I can't read )(2.56B)-NB.Removed Ram1by1-NB,Run CHKDSK from  Bart disk-completed,replaced reg files with one from 30/6/10-NB. FIXMBR from Recovery cons-NB,FIXBOOT then FIXMBR-NB reinstall OS/MOBO CD, Asus Wi Fi Drivers/XPSP3/Acrobat/SPYBOT S&D/Flash Player/Latest M/S Updates/IE8.0.AGV 9.0.83
Backup/Reinstall/Configure. £40
2x by£20 Travel £40    Total £80

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Looks like he tried everything before reinstalling the OS, Jim.  Eighty quid is certainly not bad for what he's done, and at least you have it back up and running now.

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

What no comment about his liking of AGV? Simon.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Each to their own, Jim.  All I can say is that several people who have reported infections on here, were using AVG, so I wouldn't personally recommend it.

Offline sam

• Administrator
AVG has also grown to be a bit of a system resources grabber. I rarely use any antivirus these days, being a linux person, but I'd still consider it for my machine - but its definetely not what it once was.

Does sound like he did everything that he could be the reinstall, personally I'd have tried the file system check, check the ram and then if it still wasnt working (assuming I had backups) reinstall. So for £80 not bad at all.

Though I wonder if its worth investing in an external drive so that weekly backups could be maintained? Save any stress of that again.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

Sam, She has had one in a box for about a year,every time I try to install it "Not now I need to  use the computer"??,Next time she is out for the day I'll set it up!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
This little scare might make her keener to use it, Jim. ;)

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

::) I am reinstalling Tax Assistant at the moment been waiting over an hour for an Activation code ,then of course I have to phone their Tech Dept to see how I replace the original data into their program!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 15:04 by TOFFEEMAN1878 »

Offline sam

• Administrator
oh yeah, I recall that software being discussed before - good luck!
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline TOFFEEMAN1878

:solved:  The tech from Drummohr sorted out via remote,Happy days!

Offline Simon

• Administrator

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum