Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Heat of the Moment: How Much Global Warming Are We Willing to Take?  (Read 1895 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
The average temperature of the planet for the next several thousand years will be determined this century—by those of us living today, according to a new National Research Council report which lays out the impact of every degree of warming on outcomes ranging from sea-level rise to reduced crop yields.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-much-global-warming-are-we-willing-to-take
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
According to the report, for every degree Celsius of warming, impacts include:

* A 3 to 10 percent increase in heavy rainfall globally

Noooooo!  We have had nothing but rain for a week and it's going to rain all next week too!   :bawl:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
I wish it would make up its mind.  We have several weeks of drought, then several weeks of deluge.  Should I be growing strawberries or rice?
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
It's July - the monsoon season.

Prior to finishing work for the summer, on the 28th June, there had hardly been a drop of rain for three months.  The last day at work is a conference in the Conference Hall in the local park.  The day started off lovely, hot sunshine as we all strolled through the park from the college car park.  At 4PM, just as we were about to leave, the rain started and it has done nothing but rain since.

Friends and family tell me that I am lucky to get two months off work every "summer".  The thing is, I don't have two months off in summer.  I have July and August off and they are definately not "summer".  Since the climate changed, April, May and June are summer in the UK and have been for a number of years.  July and August are grey skies, high winds and torrential rain, with annual floods leaving thousands homeless.  I have actually emailed both Cameron and Clegg, with the suggestion that the Con-Dem coalition could make itself appear more in touch with reality than the previous Government if it was to move the seasons to more accurately reflect the type of weather we experience in certain months.  By moving summer to April, May and June, rather than June, July and August as it is now, people would then be more willing to take holidays at home, boosting the tourist industry and local economies, rather that having to flee abroad for some sunshine in July and August.  Schools and colleges should shut in May and June rather than July and August, giving young people the chance to get out in the fresh air and exercise, rather than sheltering in their rooms with their X-Box as they are forced to do in July and August.

We can't change the climate back to what it once was, but we can adapt to the change.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
What a wonderful idea, Dave!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I couldn't help but be amused that they'd just obtained a drought order in Dumfries & Galloway when we arrived and it then rained pretty solidly for a week. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Sounds like bliss!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
It was nice and cool. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
It's mugging up horribly here today.  :bawl:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Same here - got the cooler going full tilt.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Is that that fanless fan thing?  Any good?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
No, this is the evaporation air cooler. The Dyson unit is better than a standard fan, but not worth £200.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
I saw one in Currys, but couldn't see much benefit over a normal fan.  Not for that price, anyway.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I confess I gave in to design lust...
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
The Dyson is much safer when tiny tots are around and trying to stick fingers into the blades!  Worth every penny! 

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum