Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Our Drugs War  (Read 2908 times)

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Our Drugs War
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:07 »
I'm looking forward to seeing Our Drugs War on Monday, C4 at 8pm.  Apparently Angus MacQueen has won awards for documentaries, so this looks very promising.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: Our Drugs War
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 11:22 »
Looks like it might be interesting, Gill.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:04 »
If depressing.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 13:39 »
Well, it's probably another war we'll never win.  :(
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 15:22 »
True. :(
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 15:44 »
I suspect it's another war we should never have even started, but I think we need a more open and better informed public debate on the subject.  Most people seem to think it's enough to say, "My neighbour's young lad was a lovely fellow until he started taking drugs.  Only a reckless fool would consider legalising them."

::)
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 16:10 »
I personally feel legalize, tax and be done with it. Ok its not that simple, but it would overnight remove all the criminal gangs selling drugs...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 16:16 »
Sadly, though, to judge by the lessons of prohibition, they would simply move on to another area where they could make money, Sam.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 23:29 »
I'm firmly with Sam on this one.  The majority of criminal acts are perpetrated by addicts who are desperate for money to buy drugs.  Quite what we'd do about the subsequent increase in demand on NHS resources is another matter.  Another bonus is that the Taliban might suddenly find themselves having to work for a living.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 00:11 »
I'd like to see more informed discussion before really committing myself, but I have to say that the arguments in favour of legalisation that I've heard so far are overwhelming.

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 00:22 »
I'd like to see impact assessments etc, you know things the government doesn't like producing properly - graphs.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 00:30 »
My worry is that if drugs were legalised, they would be easier to get hold of, therefore, more people would take them, and become addicted.  I know it's the difficulty of obtaining drugs which turns people to crime, but do we really want people wandering the streets like zombies, or presenting other extreme behaviours?

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 00:35 »
well you could start small legalize cannabis and see what happens... I don't think people all walk around holland like that though - I expect it would be like alcohol for the people who take it - you go out and have a good time at the weekend but work hard in the week. Most of the drugs that could be legalised just aren't addictive. We don't seem to have a problem with people smoking...  "wandering the streets like zombies" comes to mind with that :-D
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 00:51 »
Anything is addictive if you allow it to become so, but I take the point about starting small.  It will be interesting to see what class of drugs the programme talks about.

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 01:12 »
That's not what has happened in Portugal, Simon.  Drug usage there has actually declined since a more liberal regime was introduced.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum