Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Power on AC BACK.  (Read 3251 times)

Offline ketamininja

Power on AC BACK.
« on: May 02, 2003, 16:39 »
The AC BACK power on option is set to NO, but when you plug in the PSU AC cord, the PC powers up.

M/B: Gigabyte GA7 RAID and SATA board (can't remember exact model no).
CPU: XP 1800+
RAM: 512 CL2 DDR
GPU: GeForce 4 440MX
HDD: Maxtor 60GB
PSU: 300W Standard

Any suggestions on this one. I know it has nothing to do with the graphics card or the RAM. Don't really feel like swapping the mainboard to test if its that.

Apart from this problem, all is well. ;D

Thanks.

Offline Big_Boss

Re:Power on AC BACK.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2003, 16:50 »
WOW,
I'd say im quite technically minded, but i dont even understand what  your asking  :-[

Sorry i cant be of any help,

Boss

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2003, 16:52 »
Hi Ketamininja,welcome to the forum.

Is it a new case you've built it into ? If so could the switch be faulty ? Does it switch off afterwards at all ?

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003, 17:29 »
Its a new case, yes. However the machine powers down correctly and switches on correctly : behaves totally normally unless you pull the AC out and plug it in.

Big_Boss: When you plug the power cord in to the back of the PC, the PC switches on. There is a setting in the BIOS that does this on purpose (like a server goes down in a power cut - when power comes on the server comes on again), but that setting is not being used.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003, 17:52 »
It does seem strange,does it make any difference whether its set to instant off or soft off( 4 sec delay)?
I only noticed last week that when my pc is connected to the power that there is power to the mouse ps2 port as I changed to a different optical mouse and its lit up as long as the socket which feeds the pc is on.
Presumably that means that the boards are always live (at the lower voltage no doubt) than the switched one that starts the pc and the drives.
That being the case I would still suspect that the switch has a fault and is staying connected after the normal shut down( I have had some car switches that would push past the connect part and switch off then as they were released they made a brief contact on the way back)or there is a board fault as you summised at first which is somehow allowing a connection surge to "jump" to the bit that powers the pc up.
Other thna that I cant think of anything else to suggest apart from could you try another switch? It wouldnt necessarily have to be a pc switch so you dont need to disturb the switch in the case.
Hope someone has some more ideas if mine are as daft as they sound  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003, 17:54 »
I'm tempted to use the old Tommy Cooper joke about when he went to the doctor and said "It hurts when I lift my arm", and the doctor said "Well, don't do it then!".

I know exactly what you mean, ketemininja, but I can't understand how it could possibly happen if the PSU switch is powered off when you unplug / plug the AC lead, unless, as Sandra said, the switch is faulty.

Hopefully someone will be along soon with an answer.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 18:30 »
Hi Ketamininja

Welcome to PC Pals ... hope you have some fun here and stay on after we try to sort your problem. Please feel free to join in with the fun.

I suspect that you have a PSU in your case that doesn't have a mains on/off switch on the back, which is why you are removing the mains cable. This will mean that the PSU powers up straight away and supplies the mobo with power, even tho the PC isn't turned on.

I suspect there may be a jumper on the mobo that sets it to start on power up, have you checked the manual to see if this function is there? It will be something like "Wake-on ..."

I'll try to find some time and have a look at the mobo details and see if I can see it. It may also be something different of course  ;)

url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Adept

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2003, 18:50 »
Hi ketamininja :welcome:

It would probably help a lot if you could let us know the exact model no. of your motherboard. I think Gigabyte use the GA7 prefix on a lot of their boards (probably not many of them have RAID though :))

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2003, 18:50 »
First of all - thanks for the welcome  :D
And yes, now that I've found this gem of a website, I'll be here more often!!

Ok, I'm going to investigate the switch a bit more. I'll pick up another one from work and see if that does the trick.

The problem occurs when there is nothing BUT the AC attached, or if anything is attached, and I've checked all the jumpers so it shouldn't be WOL or anything.

No jumper setting regarding any power options on board.

4 Sec power off, or hit it once, and XP shuts down (dual booting BTW).

Its true that there is a low voltage running through - my optical trackball lights up when pc powered down.

MOBO: GA-7VRXP... I think  ??? yes I'm sure.

Looks like the money is on the switch... closing all bets soon  ;D
I really hope its not the mobo...

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2003, 19:01 »
If you want to check if its the switch without substituting it,just disconnect it and plug the AC lead back in,that way if its the switch at fault it wont start up,if its something else it will  :-*

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2003, 19:06 »

If you want to check if its the switch without substituting it,just disconnect it and plug the AC lead back in,that way if its the switch at fault it wont start up,if its something else it will  :-*

good point LOL  :D The pc is not here, so I wont be able to give you an answer till... monday  ::)

Adept

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2003, 19:08 »

I wont be able to give you an answer till... monday  ::)

Don't forget Monday's a Bank Holiday (for some) ;)

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2003, 19:14 »
Hi Special K, and welcome to the zoo!

Although I have a GA7 DXR+ I've not experienced the problem you're having and can only think that it's God's way of punishing you for having a more recent MoBo.   ;D

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2003, 19:15 »

Don't forget Monday's a Bank Holiday (for some) ;)

Lucky people - not for me, the boss has me chained to the desk :(
Enjoy your extended weekend people...! I even have to work on Saturday! :o

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2003, 19:18 »
Just had another think about it,and you said its shuts down instantly on first touch of switch whether bios is set at instant off or delay.If so its looking more like the board again ,sorry  :(

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum