Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Nuclear Experts Explain Worst-Case Scenario at Fukushima Power Plant  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
The type of accident occurring now in Japan derives from a loss of offsite AC power and then a subsequent failure of emergency power on site. Engineers there are racing to restore AC power to prevent a core meltdown.

LINK

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?  :bawl:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
It's looking decidedly dodgy. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
No its going to be ok. They really do have a reasonable plan.

If people use this as anti-nuclear power stance I'm going to go crazy. Yes there was an issue, yes the loss of the generators were unexpected (and possibly ill placed given what could happen there) but they have followed vigorous procedures in place. They might re-think backup generators in earthquake zones though. Still if people want power they have to suck it up.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
That's a relief!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline sam

• Administrator
well maybe...   :laugh:

anyway the wind would blow most over the ocean and towards west coast of canada... who cares?   :bawl:
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
No its going to be ok. They really do have a reasonable plan.

If people use this as anti-nuclear power stance I'm going to go crazy. Yes there was an issue, yes the loss of the generators were unexpected (and possibly ill placed given what could happen there) but they have followed vigorous procedures in place. They might re-think backup generators in earthquake zones though. Still if people want power they have to suck it up.

Well said Sam.  It really is the only solution to our energy problems.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
anyway the wind would blow most over the ocean and towards west coast of canada... who cares?   :bawl:

Look on the bright side, Sam, with a bit of luck it would reach Sarah Palin first.  :devil:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Come home quick, Sam!  ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
ah there by mountains in the way... :-)
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline sam

• Administrator
/ I doubt it would really carry that far. In comparison the cloud from Chernobyl really didn't have far to go.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Chernobyl happened to a much poorer country, with presumably much less in the way of protection against such an event.  Hopefully, the Japs have got it covered.  

Offline Clive

• Administrator
I think the Japs have a far better safety record than the Russians. 

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
My nephew, who was to take up a year's research fellowship at Tokyo next wee, now finds himself unemployed. His parents are relieved, and I don't blame them.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
That's a shame - but well better that then going there. From what I hear it would not be a good time to move to Japan.
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum