Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Satellite Photos Before and After of Japan’s Earthquake, Tsunami  (Read 2132 times)

Offline sam

• Administrator
Photos from the GeoEye satellite imaging company from before and after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan show sobering views from above of the disaster. Above is the town of Sendai, Japan after the quake, below is how it looked before catastrophe struck.

http://www.universetoday.com/84042/satellite-photos-before-and-after-of-japans-earthquake-tsunami/

-- GeoEye yet again brings sobering pictures.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
That puts it all into perspective! 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Bloody hell!
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Sobering is exactly the right word, Sam.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
I'm getting the feeling this is going to get worse before it gets better. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I agree. The economic impact is yet to be felt, there's talk of another major shock and a third reactor has exploded. It's really worrying.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline sam

• Administrator
Yes, the nuclear physicists really don't seem to be moving as fast as their initial plan expected. Though all the explosions sounds as if they were simple hydrogen + oxygen ones... but still.. then again the international atomic energy people seem happy with what they are doing and well unlike the media they are the experts.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
There was a professor on Jeremy Vine this morning, who seemed to know what he was talking about, and indeed, the explosions have been hydrogen based.  Worth a listen on BBC.co.uk/radio2 if you missed it. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
might take a look. Still Prof's in nuclear physics must be like those in computer science (maybe not though) - never worked in industry... good at in theory but have they put it into practice...
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
To someone who knows nothing about the subject, he seemed quite knowledgeable, and was also going on about rods, plutonium, etc. 

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I can do that. ;)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator

Offline sam

• Administrator
Oh I'm sure he was... I just always wondered, as I know in comp sci its a different game, how much people who teach the physics of know about the actually being in the industry
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
Oh, the tales I could tell about my involvement in such incidents when I was in the air force!  I've been watching the news coverage and goggling at the video - believe me, that's not a healthy environment.  The de-contam staff look unprofessional and unaware of how they should protect themselves, never mind the public.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
And they've now thrown out a UK rescue team, because of a lack of some paperwork!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:37 by Simon »

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum