Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Registry leak?  (Read 7494 times)

Offline momad30044

Registry leak?
« on: May 11, 2003, 00:00 »
I've been having trouble running  "learn visual basic" software and someone suggested that I might have a "leak in my registry."  Anybody know what that is?

My thanks,

Debbie

Offline bat69

• Loyal Member
    • http://members.lycos.co.uk/dbat69/
Re:Registry leak?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 00:11 »
Hi Debbie

Welcome to the forum, hope you have some fun and find the forum useful

You may find THIS useful ... I hope it explains what you want to know
url=http://www.pc-pals.com/userpics/bat69bc.swf]Flash[/url]

Offline momad30044

Registry leak revisited...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 01:05 »
I apologize for not being more clear in my last post.  I have Windows 98. The information I received for the "Registry Quota Leak" was for 2000.  Any hints for 98?

Again my thanks.

Debbie

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 01:22 »
Hi Debbie,I merged the 2 threads to save any confusion over people answering in different thread.

Are you sure they said "A leak in the registry" and not"A leak in the disk cache"?

Have a look here and see if this could be a possible solution :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254727

Offline momad30044

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 01:36 »

Are you sure they said "A leak in the registry" and not"A leak in the disk cache"?

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!  I guess I'm not sure how to tell if that's the problem or not....(can you tell I'm a beginner?)  We haven't had the problem with any other programs, just attempting to use a "Learn to Program" book/cd.  It works on other computers, just not ours.  I know when I take it in to Best Buy, they'll simply reinstall Windows.  Having done that, I know it's not the problem.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 01:47 »
I am not that clued up on the link I posted but it does mention a leak while using runtime which is a part of visual basic so I put 2 and 2 together possibly making 5 (Simons math by the way  ;) )

What exactly happens when you attempt to run the program/CD and does it give any error messages at all when the problem occurrs ?

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 09:35 »
Hi Debbie,

Just to expand on what Sandra said, we need a little more information. Perhaps you could clarify the following:

1.  Have you actually managed to install Learn Visual Basic?  If not, how far do you get and what error messages are you getting, if any, or what actually happens?

2.  If you have sucessfully installed LVB, does the program actually run?  Any error messages?  If it runs, at what stage are your problems occurring, and what actually happens?  Error messages, again, can be a help with diagnosing problems, so if you could note exactly what any messages say, and let us know, hopefully someone will be able to help you.

It probably won't be me though - I'm just saving the experts the job of asking the questions!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 10:14 »
Hi Debbie :welcome:

Simon's right. Rather than trying to work out what a Registry Leak might be, it might be better if you just tell us the symptoms of the problem first. Hopefully one of us will be able to find a solution for you then.

In the meantiime, since you mentioned a registry problem, it may be workwhile running Windows' built-in registry checker program.

Here's some instructions for you to follow:-

Press Start
Choose Shutdown Windows
Choose Restart in MS-DOS mode and press OK
Type scanreg /fix at the prompt and press enter
Type exit when finished and press enter
Windows restarts normally :)

I hope this helps.

Offline momad30044

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 23:11 »
You folks are so fast!  I'm very impressed.  I'm working from a very beginning book called Teach Yourself Visual Basic 6 in 24 hours.  It installs well  ;D (that much I can do).  When you try to run the simplest program, however, it just says "VB6 caused an illegal page fault in module VB6.exe at 0167:60475lfl."  In other programs I occasionally get a message that says "a dll file is missing."  Any connection?

I will definitely do the registry checker thing.  Thanks, again.

Debbie

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 23:20 »
A lot of things on 98 for some reason seem to require a missing DLL file they dont usually cause the illegal operation thing though.
If you take note of which .DLL files it says are missing you can usually download then from www.microsoft.com

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 23:34 »
Hopefully this may be the solution Debbie.
It may look daunting to you at first but re read it and follow the instructions step by step and it should be ok.
It may be easier if you print the page off so you can have it at hand while you follow the instructions,I would copy and paste it into notepad and refer to it there but some people prefer it on hard copy  :-*

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249879

Edited as I forgot to put the link in again  :(

Offline momad30044

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 15:15 »
"Click Start, and then click Run. Type the following commands in the text box:
regsvr32 "<x>:\<path>\ssscc.dll"

where <x>:\<path> is the location of the Ssscc.dll file

If Microsoft Visual SourceSafe is not integrated with Visual Basic:
Start Visual Basic.
From the Add-Ins menu, click Add-In-Manager.
Under Available Add-Ins, select Source Code Control.
In the Loaded Behavior option box, clear the Loaded/Unloaded and Load on Startup check boxes.
Exit Visual Basic."

More questions...am I to type in: "regsvr32 "<x>:\<path>\ssscc.dll"???  What does "where <x>:\<path> is the location of the Ssscc.dll file " mean? :-[

Also, I went to the Add-In Manager and I don't have a "Source Code Control".

As usual, I feel I must apologize for my ignorance...

Debbie

Adept

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2003, 15:40 »
No problem Debbie - the trouble with us techies is that we all speak a different language from English ::)

You have to type in the address of the file on your computer (the path) instead of the  <x>:\<path> bit. An easy way to find out where the  Ssscc.dll file might be is to use the Find files and folders facility on the Start menu.

If you cannot find this file, then I would think that Sandra's solution isn't going to work for you :)

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2003, 16:18 »
I'm on Win98SE and have just done a search for Ssscc.dll.  I do not have the file on my system.  I have found a link to Ssscc.exe (setup for the missing dll) at the link below, if it is any help.  It is dated 22/05/96, just above half-way down the page.

http://www.euronet.nl/~dds/html/body_file_resources.html

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 17:47 »
ARggh, I don't want to worry you debbie, after all I'm just a new guy around here too, and haven't got my status up  ;D but invalid page faults are not too healthy.

Again, if I remember correctly: your hard disk will use a little space to pretend to be memory. When your memory fills up and needs more space it will swap older data out to the hard disk, and replace it with new stuff. If the old stuff is required, then its still on the HDD ready to be retrived, albeit a little slower.

Now, data in memory or HDD is referenced by pointers. When you want something the pointer says "ITS HERE ---->", but what happens if its not there? Data is 1's and 0's - if that data has been changed from 1 to 0, then that's bad.

just FYI, radiation from the sun will change a 1 to a 0 about once a month in a memory module, and will usually crash your machine because of it! Server use special memory to try and combat this as well as other problems... anyway - off track here...

its possible that (worst case) you have a memory problem, which I don't think because you would have a restarting machine more often. I think its better to say there may be a POINTER issue with your harddisk. If you really can't get it sorted by any normal easy way, do the drastic thing and reinstall Windows so that it purrrrs (if windows ever actually did/does).

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum