Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: The Manfreds  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
Re: The Manfreds
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46 »
The so-called mid-Atlantic accent was required for street cred in the late 60s, Rod, maybe that's when he picked it up?
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
  • Bournemouth: Where even the water is 'ard!
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:38 »
I dunno, Rik.  Possession of a 'mid-Atlantic' accent only served to demonstrate that its exponent was embarrassingly out-of-touch with the scene at street level, but desperately wanted to 'belong'.  Consequently, they just ended up looking a complete knob, as did many contemporary DJs.

It was just such faux-pas which caused pre-existing differences in musical taste to polarise, until a yawning chasm formed with 'Underground' on one side and Radio music on the other.  In retrospect, I suppose it helped trigger a kind of tribal behaviour, with the later clashes between Mods and Rockers being one of its more extreme forms.

Paul Jones' inappropriate use of the silly accent was worrying because the incident mentioned above actually happened around the mid 70s.  However, what's particularly disturbing is the novelty accent he now uses on his radio show.  What the hell is that all about, Paul?   :)x

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 12:42 »
Consequently, they just ended up looking a complete knob, as did many contemporary DJs.

And I knew many of them. :)
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 14:15 »
I saw Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Howlin' Wolf all perform at the same small venue.

What an incredible line-up Rod!  I was also a fan of all three would have given my eye teeth to have seen just one of them perform live on stage.  I did manage to see Bo Diddley and the Duchess at Cardiff so my life hasn't been totally wasted.   You will be reassured to know that Paul Jones still has the mid-Atlantic accent.  :laugh:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 16:52 »
I saw the bluesmen at the Albert Hall, Clive, the opposite experience to Rod's but a great night for all that.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 17:32 »
I hasten to add that they weren't all on the same bill, simply appearing at the same venue over the course of a year or so.

For a small club, the Hive certainly had some big acts.  It was all the more remarkable because the stage area was only about 12 inches off the floor, so they relied on the audience keeping a respectful distance from the act, which wasn't too difficult when Keith Emerson was abusing his organ mere feet away from the punters.

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 17:41 »
Pacamac time?  :o:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 18:42 »
I hasten to add that they weren't all on the same bill, simply appearing at the same venue over the course of a year or so.

Oh right.  I thought it was the same bill which would have been one of the best in history.  But that meant you saw three great shows instead of just the one!  I also liked Sonny Boy Williamson and Cyril Davies although neither headed to my neck of the woods.  Getting back to Paul Jones, he not only had a fake American accent - it was also extremely posh for a pop singer.  He kept referring to "when I was an undergraduate" and "during my university days" which seemed to suggest he was a reluctant pop star.  When I used to watch him on ToTP all those years ago he gave the impression he was a bit of a Jack the Lad.  But he can still stand on one leg flapping his arms whilst singing Pretty Flamingo.   ;D

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 22:32 »
That's not bad for someone who'll turn 70 next February.  I'm well impressed.   

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 23:34 »
he seems to be in very good shape - not an ounce of fat on him!  Interestingly he had a full head of hair but I was sat too far back to determine whether or not he was wearing a wig.  When I saw Marty Wilde I sat in the front row of the stalls and it was quite obvious he had a rug on his head.  We've stopped sitting in the stalls because the dancers block the view but nobody danced on Saturday.   :dunno:

Offline Rodders

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 11:15 »
PJ certainly appeared to have real hair when I met him, but so did Marty Wilde at the time he bought me a pint in 1982.  Mind you, my Barnet would probably touch a phone box on all four sides in those days. 

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40 »
:laugh:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 11:42 »
You had me worried there for a minute, Rod, I thought you'd met PJ Proby - wasn't quite sure which hair you'd been checking.  :devil:
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Clive

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 19:08 »
A lot can happen to a head of hair during the space of 30 years.   :laugh:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 22:11 »
Tell me about it!   I knew I should never have used Wash and Go.  :bawl:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum