Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: 10 Years Ago Today: Apple Introduces the iPod, Changes Everything  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
I missed the first 9 years. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
I nearly missed the first ten!   :blush:

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
    • Gill's East Lindsey Camera
I missed the first eight years.  However, I wish I'd splashed out on one earlier because mine's always in use.

The iPod Touch looks interesting but I don't understand many of its features.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

(Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I missed the first five, but now use it more than my main hi fi. I have an iPod Classic which, coupled with a Bose portable dock (which, when not connected to the mains is powered by a rechargeable li-ion battery which also charges the iPod), means I can create playlists to last an evening when we have a dinner party, and just move the dock around from room to room. My second is a Nano, and Sue also has one, which is perfect for travel, I use either Bose earbuds or Bose noise-cancelling headphones with these, ideal for taking the boredom out of exercise, or easing myself to sleep. The latter function was particularly  useful in hospital where I also wanted to block extraneous noise. The iPod, like the Philips cassette player almost 50 years before, is a life changer.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
From what I have seen, Gill, an iPod touch is virtually an iPhone without the phone. 
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
I'd agree. How useful the touch screen is compared to the 'dial' I don't know.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
I've looked at the Apple website and I'm a bit confused about what an iPhone does.  I presume I would need a mobile phone account with an ISP account too, but could I use such an account to access the internet with my PC?  How much music and video would I have at my disposal with an iPhone - more than is on my iPod Classic?

Gosh, I'm sure more questions will occur to me, but I'm such a novice with mobile phones that I'm not sure what to ask  :dunno: .
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
An iPhone will work in the normal way with a mobile contract, or pay as you go, but if you want to use the services such as Internet and email, you will either need to use a wireless network (home or otherwise), or get a data allowance from your mobile service provider, such as O2, Orange, etc.  You would then be able to use it to access the internet, and emails, as well as making calls. 

Offline GillE

• Forum Fanatic
  • Never totally serious
Thanks Simon.  It sounds expensive - I think I'll stick my old-fashioned land-line, PC and iPod Classic :) .

Offline Simon

• Administrator
Re: 10 Years Ago Today: Apple Introduces the iPod, Changes Everything
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 19:45 »
iPhones come with various storage capacities for music, etc, and the more capacity you have, the more expensive the phone.  Generally, although I haven't compared recently, I think you get more capacity for storage on an iPod than an iPhone,  but I could be wrong. 

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 22:39 »
I have an HTC phone but I also have an iPod Nano - that's a touch screen and can do lots of things. The larger touch screen ipods can connection to your wifi network and do all what the iphone can do (basically) but not outside of a wifi area.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 22:53 »
On the topic of ipods i've just been rail roaded into getting the kids an ipod touch each for christmas. Not being a big fan of the apple way of doing things (eg the itunes experience) i'm not too happy that i believe i will have to create an account complete with credit card details to allow the kids to downloand apps...even the free ones. I remembered seeing some itunes prepay cards on sale at a supermarket recently, does anyone know if these can be used instead of a credit card when you initially create the account ?

Offline Rik

• Former Admin
  • Ceud mille failte
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 10:55 »
Sorry, I don't, Dave.
Slainthe!

Rik

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 11:33 »
Me neither, but my guess is those were gift cards, so I would think not, Dave.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum