Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Account hacked? Change your password twice  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Account hacked? Change your password twice
« on: June 08, 2012, 13:43 »
Security experts have warned users to change their passwords twice, after a series of attacks on high profile sites including LinkedIn, LastFM and eHarmony.

LinkedIn was forced to admit the leak after passwords were posted online, but has said it's aware of no unauthorised access attempts. The social network reset the 6.5m affected accounts, as eHarmony and LastFM also warned users to update passwords after being attacked.

Andy Dancer, CTO at Trend Micro, said that's a good first step, but advised anyone using a site hit by hackers to reset passwords a second time.

"They should change passwords straight away, and then again when they [the company] has figured out what the problem is," he said. If the hackers still have access, they will be able to steal the new passwords too, he noted.

Bogdan Botezatu, senior analyst at Bitdefender, said LinkedIn has likely blocked the attack by now and new passwords should be safe. However, he did advise users who use a similar password at other sites to also update those credentials.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/375052/account-hacked-change-your-password-twice
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Account hacked? Change your password twice
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 15:47 »
Better change my Adult Sheepfinder password.   8-)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 17:15 »
::) :sheeplove:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Delgado

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 08:40 »
This password nonsense is getting crazy. Its about time a difference system was brought in. How the hell are you expected to remember all these? Ive now got a notebook an inch thick with mine in. Soon have to buy another hard drive to store em!!

:crazy: :crazy:
if you cant do something nice-do nothing!

Offline chorleydave

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 09:05 »
I agree - it's almost impossible.  I have mine uploaded to Skydrive, where I have tried my best to heavily disguise them.  For example, my password for one of my accounts refers to the top-heaviness of a female employee of the company whose web site I access.   ;D

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:09 »
What we need is unified access. Google and facebook for example do this with some sites.
- sam | @starrydude --

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11 »
I just have a few variations, which I use depending on the type of thing I'm signing in for.

Offline Baz

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 13:28 »
I just use the same one for everything, easy to remember  :o:      ;) ;)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum