Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Soundless in Asus!  (Read 5221 times)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Re:Soundless in Asus!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2003, 20:16 »
well it cost me half an hour when i first got this pc...lol :-[ ;) ;D

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2003, 20:17 »
Just a thought, will *dxdiag* work in "ME" would that show up anything  ;).

Hookstar   8)

Start/Run, enter dxdiag

Offline Tabbler

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2003, 20:18 »

Seems a shame to spend money on a card when its got what should be a good onboard one especially as you dont have too many PCI slots available for other stuff later that you may need.
I take it that you havent had any luck from ASUS support either as many others have reported that they arent very helpful.
Did you try your stick of memory in a different slot as someone stated worked on my last reply?
Did you explore the mobo cd to see if the drivers were on it but unaccessable while on the cd and transferred them to your hard drive so that they could be found when updating them manually ?

Well; if I was to remove the un-needed modem, I'd actually have *3* PCI slots!

Asus support - I'm afraid I have *no* patience with corporate helplines, and, yes, I've been hearing about the unhelpfulness from them.

The memory - yep; I could try that. But, in the end, I dunno.

I *did* try, at one point, transferring the driver-files to my hard-drive, but to no avail. But I think I'll give it another go.

We'll see how it goes. I'll have to initiate a cunning plan. Probably!

Offline Tabbler

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2003, 20:23 »

:lol: Camstop, I've done that too. Was my face red :-[

Tabbler, is it possible that a PCI card you have in your PC is conflicting with the address/IRQ used by the mobo's sound?

It may also be worth checking that Plug and Play is enabled in the BIOS.

From what I've read elsewhere, Adept, that is indeed a distinct possibility. I've read that IRQ sharing could be a problem, and that a card installed in the first PCI slot can MAYBE be problematic. It's in the 'sorting-out' list!

I'm sure P&P *is* enabled; I'll re-check later.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2003, 20:25 »
You said that the memory you have was supplied with the board,have you thought of checking with CRUCIAL and getting one of their guaranteed to work with your board ones to try that.
I was impressed with their delivery a few weeks back,I ordered around 7-15 pm on a wednesday,arrived friday morning.
Just thinking about someone saying that your board wasnt too happy with some makes of memory  :-*

Offline Tabbler

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2003, 20:29 »

Just a thought, will *dxdiag* work in "ME" would that show up anything  ;).

Hookstar   8)

Start/Run, enter dxdiag  

Thanks for that; I didn't realise that such a facility existed. I'll look into it more, later, but there's nothing that leaps out at me and says "your prob is solved".

I have the latest DirectX stuff installed (9, or whatever).

Offline Tabbler

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2003, 20:32 »

You said that the memory you have was supplied with the board,have you thought of checking with CRUCIAL and getting one of their guaranteed to work with your board ones to try that.
I was impressed with their delivery a few weeks back,I ordered around 7-15 pm on a wednesday,arrived friday morning.
Just thinking about someone saying that your board wasnt too happy with some makes of memory  :-*

Another one in the list! I've been reading about all sorts of things that this MB doesn't like! Such wiseness after the event!

I'm starting to get paranoid. I'm convinced there's a corporate conspiracy in place to "get" me.

I'll show them. I'll get a sound card. I will!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2003, 21:25 »
Hi Tabbler, and a belated  

I see you've got off to a flying start, with a nice long thread!  I hope we can sort your problem out for you.  I'm no techie myself, but I may be able to help with this link to a 5.1 soundcard for under a tenner.  I actually bought one myself, but haven't got round to installing it yet, or buying the extra speakers.  Hope it might be of some use.

Click Here.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2003, 23:12 »
Thats got to be an even quieter card than Tabblers got already Simon  ;D
The page wont load  ::)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2003, 23:58 »
Don't know what happened there, but it works now.   ::) ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2003, 00:15 »
Works ok for me now but some of the other things havent worked for me this evening,ie displaying a .jpg from my webspace on another thread  :o

Offline Tabbler

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2003, 00:27 »
On *my* PC, there's a big blank, at the bottom of your posts, where a pic should be!

Current situation :

(1) The modem was removed from the PCI slot; or, I should say, *almost* removed, as I couldn't get a firm grip on the little screw that holds it to the back of the PC. Anyway, it's unplugged - if still hanging precariously from its mounting. What am I like?!

(2) I took the plunge, and flashed the latest BIOS. And it never destroyed the PC! Wow! At least SOMETHING's went right over the last 24 hours! Now I have REV 1006.

And everything's still the same - no sound. Well; I've tried. A soundcard, I think.

These things were sent to fry us!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2003, 00:32 »
You need a Flash plugin to see the sigs, Tabbler.  Unless you already have it and it's a temporary glitch.  Seems like there's a few about tonight!       ;)

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

Offline Tabbler

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2003, 00:41 »
Ah! I see! ActiveX....

Yes; I have that. It's just that I tend to surf with it all switched off.

Just turned it on; very nice!

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2003, 00:52 »
Unfortunately due to your sound problem you wont get the full benefit of mine Tabbler although some of the jealous people like Simon,Clive and Adept will say that you are lucky  ;D ;D ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum