Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Nearby supernova dazzles astronomers  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Nearby supernova dazzles astronomers
« on: January 23, 2014, 16:57 »
An exploding star has been spotted in the night sky - the closest supernova to Earth that has been seen in decades.

The dramatic event happened 12 million light years away in Messier 82 - known as the cigar galaxy for its shape.

It was discovered by undergraduates during a telescope class at the University of London Observatory.

"One minute we're eating pizza then five minutes later we've helped to discover a supernova. I couldn't believe it," said student Tom Wright.

The students from University College London were taking part in a 10-minute lesson with astronomer Dr Steve Fossey when they noticed what appeared to be a "new star".

"We pointed the telescope at Messier 82 - it's quite a bright galaxy, quite photogenic. But as soon as it came up on screen, it didn't look right to me," Dr Fossey told BBC News.

"We fired up another telescope, we got another frame - and that was when we knew it was a supernova."

The "fluke" discovery led to a global scramble to acquire confirming images and spectra from the dazzling object.

It now been confirmed by the International Astronomical Union as a supernova - a violent blast of energy and light that is hurled out as a star dies.

It has taken 12 million years for the light to reach us. But though this may seem like a long way away, scientists say this is the closest supernova to be spotted since the late 1980s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25860454
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: Nearby supernova dazzles astronomers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 19:19 »
I actually saw it last night through a telescope.  It can't be seen with the naked eye as the galaxy is so far away.  I was talking to someone last night who had taken photos of the galaxy the night before but hadn't noticed the supernova even though it was clearly visible on the photo.  He was kicking himself as he could have had the credit for discovering it!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 19:37 »
Doh!  ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 22:29 »
Sam will know him - Paul Roche of the Faulkes project.   :laugh:

Offline sam

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 22:30 »
Oh I do, doh! That's a shame, useful data still though!
- sam | @starrydude --

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum