Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Floppy Disk Player  (Read 8770 times)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
Floppy Disk Player
« on: May 27, 2003, 02:37 »
Hi everyone,
   Well, I'm coming today to you with a new problem hoping to find the answer:
    As I don't use floppy disk so often, I didn't notice the problem and was not sure of it till after the end of the garrantee of my computer. It's still new, PC AMD Athlon 1600, Windows XP. Now the problem happens more often than before: when I use the floppy disk it causes the total freezing of the computer. The mouse doesn't move anymore and nothing works anymore. Everything stops. Only the page which was on the screen stays there. Till I Stop totally the computer and restart it. Sometimes I have to restart it again to be able to use the floppy disk.
   I Got another new floppy disk player, Sony, like the original. The problem is still there. :'(
   Anyone has any idea???       Thank you
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Floppy Disk Player
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 03:01 »
Hi again Joudi,is there any indication of something not right if you look in Device Manager,yellow ? or ! etc?
When you tried the second floppy drive did you check that it was properly plugged into the motherboard.
I had a problem with a floppy recently when replacing it in a different PC and was struggling to get the cable plug in properly as I was unable to see it properly and somehow I had bent a pin on the floppy drive.
Fortunately I managed to straighten it without it breaking off and got away with it  ::)

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 03:39 »
Hi Sandra, thank you for your fast reaction.It seems to me that you don't sleep so early at night... Anyway:
   Well I have no message at all in the device manager concerning this problem. I have another red message there, error n° 7000 that doesn't concern floppy disk driver. It concerns USB problem which is repeated often in my computer and I don't know what it is. I think it doesn't have any relation to the floppy driver because it's not extern driver. it has not USB connection.

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 03:50 »
Hi again Sandra,
   Sorry, I forgot to answer you for the second part of your question. I think that the pluggings inside my computer are well connected. I mean that I tried to push and press them to my best possibility. I didn't like to break the mother board neither by using all my force. So I think that the problem doesn't remain there.

Adept

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 08:48 »
Hi joudi :)  Have you tried virus checking your PC?

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 10:21 »
Hi Adept, nice to hear from you again,
    Answering to your question: yes. And I tried other things too, like the full restoration of my system..the reinstalation of windows XP..And I tried to use different marks and kinds of diskets, old and new...The problem is stil there.
    I like to remind that I have on my computer two XP systems separated on two hard disks. The problem appears while using also both. ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 10:45 »
Hi Joudi,

Is there a BIOS setting to enable / disable the floppy disc drive?  Just a thought.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 11:21 »

Hi Joudi,

Is there a BIOS setting to enable / disable the floppy disc drive?  Just a thought.   :)

On the right track I think Simon :o ;D

Joudi, it might be worth having a look at your motherboard manufacturer's website to see if there are any reported problems with floppy drive support. You may need to re-flash your BIOS with a later version.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 12:34 »
Would SEEK FLOPPY being enabled do strange things like that  Adept if there was only the one floppy drive fitted,I think mine did some funny stuff once when I enabled it by mistake  ???

Adept

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 12:40 »
Seek floppy is a startup thing Sandra. It wouldn't affect the PC once it is running.

Joudi's problem is that the PC is locking up in Windows when he uses the floppy drive ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 12:50 »
Oh well maybe when I have woken up I will get some more sensible ideas  ;)

Sorry Joudi I didnt answer your earlier bit about sleeping.
There arent many nights that I get to bed before 3 am local time,in the UK that is,and often it can be 4 am  8)

Some idiotic meter reader called this morning at 11 am and even though I was out of bed  and at the door within 30 seconds he had gone away,why do they do that  ???

If I had been an old dear like Serenity or had her crippling arthritis I wouldnt have been able to have got out of my chair by the time he had gone  ::)

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 16:04 »
@Joudi

Sorry post seems to have cocked up will try again
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2003, 16:13 »
@Joudi

Will your PC boot from a floppy, if so its your Windows installation thats suspect, if not it could be a faulty floppy. cable or motherboard, or the drive not being correctly detected in BIOS.

Brian ::)
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 00:02 »
Quote from: Sandra [br /

Some idiotic meter reader called this morning at 11 am and even though I was out of bed  and at the door within 30 seconds he had gone away,why do they do that  ???

Maybe he aint an idiot, maybe he has seen past their prime 30 second risers once to often  ;D  ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 00:11 »
Mmmmmm dont forget I have seen your real photo Tony  :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum