Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Floppy Disk Player  (Read 8772 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Floppy Disk Player
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2003, 00:44 »
Joudi,je ne sais pas ou mon repost a toi est maintenant.J'ecrit un repost pour ton joli mots pour moi le dernier matin a douze heures et demi,mais il est disparaitre  :(
Maintenant tu sais que ma francaise n'est ce pas tres bon mais j'aime parle francais  et j'espere fais de progres quelque jour  :)
Je sais seulement les mots ordinaire et j'espere que tu compris que je dis  :-*

I still think that you should have a look at the procedure for updating your BIOS as you may find it a lot easier than you think and you never know it may just fix the fault,just dont go past the point of no return if you dont feel happy about it  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2003, 09:09 »
Yes, the chances are that flashing your BIOS would not cause a problem, providing you have the correct update, and follow the instructions to the letter.  I'm just advising caution as, like myself, Joudi hasn't attempted it before.  

Then again, it can't be that difficult if Tony managed it!   ;) ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Adept

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2003, 09:29 »
These days, flashing the BIOS is made as simple as possible by motherboard manufacturers.

I the old days ::) BIOS updates were fraught with danger. Even having the wrong version of DOS could upset some flashing programs :o resulting in dead motherboards.

I have never used the MSI utility that Tony mentioned, but it looks to be almost foolproof ;)

Sandra, tu est :clever: ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2003, 10:34 »
Quote from: Simon <br /><br />Then again, it can't be that difficult if Tony managed it!   ;) ;D ;D<br />[/quote

Quote from: Adept<br /><br />I have never used the MSI utility that Tony mentioned, but it looks to be almost foolproof  ;)<br /><br />[/quote

And I put it to the test  ;D

PS. You could always play it ulta safe and wear a condom whilst you do it, but where's the fun in that?  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2003, 13:59 »

PS. You could always play it ulta safe and wear a condom whilst you do it, but where's the fun in that?  ;D

Glad you said a condom there Tony and not a &quot;French letter&quot;   ;D  ;D ;D

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2003, 19:38 »
Hi everybody,
   Yes, I've got some courage at last to start the procedure for the Live Update of my MSI. But I want to be sure of everything I'm doing. That'll be better than making a serious mistake. So , I decided to ask more help from Tony (espicially) and others (in general). Here I'm sending more details about my BIOS:

BIOS properties&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
BIOS Type&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Award Modular
Award BIOS Type&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Award BIOS Message&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W6382M7 V1.11 110501 MEDIONPC 16:46:00
System BIOS Date&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;11/05/01
Video BIOS Date&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;10/18/01
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
BIOS Manufacturer&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Company Name&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
Product Information&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;http://www.phoenix.com/en/products/default.htm

Following the steps correctly, I arrived to step number 10. So I made the choice:

O   &quot;Live BIOS&quot;         And that was the result:

MSITM Live BIOSTM Version: 3.38.000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSITM Live BIOSTM found No Available Version from MSI Server.
Check Supported BIOS List

So, I don't know if it'll be good to continue the other proposed elements. That's what is proposed:

O   &quot;Live DRIVER&quot;        (It's available)

O   &quot;Live VGA  BIOS&quot;     (Not available)

O   &quot;Live VGA  DRIVE&quot;    (There are two choices). I don't know which one must be applied in my situation. The two choices are those:

MSITM Live VGA DriverTM Version: 3.38.000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Select and Click the button on the right to download and update the version online.  

Search Results: Update Date: 2003/4/2
Item Name NVIDIA Update  
Current Ver. 1240 Online Ver. 4107 (Release Version) Size 14.88MB

Item Name NVIDIA Update  
Current Ver. 1240 Online Ver. 4230 (Beta Version) Size 14.48MB

O   &quot;Live UTILITY&quot;      (There are eight choices).  Which I must choose?  They are the following:

MSITM Live UtilityTM Version: 3.38.000

Please Select and Click the item to download and update the version online.  

MSI PC Alert 4 Update Date: 2003/05/08
Item Name MSI PC Alert 4
Current Ver. Unknown Online Ver. 4.0.5.0 Size 2.01MB
Notes Hardware Monitor utility

MSI i-Speeder
Item Name MSI i-Speeder
Current Ver. Unknown Online Ver. 1.1 Size 750KB
Notes Speed up Cable Modems and XDSL.

MSI SecureDoc
Item Name MSI SecureDoc
Current Ver. Unknown Online Ver. 1.13E2 Size 851KB
Notes SecureDoc is a program that could allow you to encrypt the files easily.

MSI InfoView XP
Item Name MSI InfoView XP
Current Ver. Unknown Online Ver. 1.750 Size 1.14MB
Notes System information viewer.

MSI DMI Browser
Item Name MSI DMI Browser
Current Ver. Unknown Online Ver. 2.4.60.0 Size 965KB
Notes Browser DMI information.

MSI WMI Info
Item Name MSI WMI Info
Current Ver. Unknown Online Ver. 1.1.1.1 Size 678KB
Notes System Information Browser with Windows Management Instrumentation.

MSI LockBox
Item Name MSI LockBox
Current Ver. Unknown Online Ver. 1.63B1 Size 1.10MB
Notes A security program designed for the Windows user.

MSI PasswordKeeper
Item Name MSI PasswordKeeper
Current Ver. Unknown Online Ver. 1.0 Size 958KB
Notes PasswordKeeper will make sure you never forget the password of mail accounts, web sites, secure files etc.

Thanks a lot.  Any advice will be wellcome.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2003, 10:11 »
@joudi
Problems with a floppy drive are unlikely to be corrected by flashing the BIOS my friend; it is my advice not to do it until you have sorted the problem first

You flash the BIOS by using the floppy drive, if the drive fails during the flash you can say goodbye to the motherboard.

If you have tried a new floppy and a new cable then it is more likely the motherboard has developed a fault and you should be considering that possiblity first

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2003, 13:11 »
Thanks a lot Brian (Lobo).

Your advice is interesting. I'll see if there'll be other ideas from other friends to be taken in consideration.

If so, as you say and as I thought, I still have those two options:  :-\

1 - Or it's a problem in the motherboard.

2 - Or the electric alimentation connection has a problem (which doesn't come to the player from the motherboard but from the electric power) which I didn't yet try.

I am going to connect the player with another electric power this afternoon and hope it works.

Of course it will not appear to me immediately. I have to use the driver many times and sometimes many days. If the result is positive, I'll let you all know.

Thanks to all

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2003, 14:17 »
:-[  :-[  :-[

Well, it seems to me that there is no hope.

I've just changed the connection to another electric wire without any positive result.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2003, 17:22 »
Just a thought probably directed more at Adept,Bat or Lobo than the rest of us but anyone who has tried it please advise  :-*

In Si Soft Sandra theres is a &quot;Burn in test&quot; facility to test components by subjecting them to almost a destruction test,(from how I understood it),which I think is designed to show up any existing or potential weakness in the system.
Has &quot;Aida&quot; which I think Joudi has installed got that feature?
Does it do what I think it does?
Would that test for a problem that would confirm a motherboard fault?

Adept

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2003, 18:49 »
I use PC Check and that has a Floppy Controller test which can be used to diagnose this type of problem.

It would be worth checking that AIDA has a similar facility.

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2003, 19:58 »
I've just taken a look and AIDA doesn't appear to have that facility.

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2003, 21:55 »
@joudi

Full instructions for flshing your bios

I will email you the flash file

If the PC won?t boot after flashing (Make this floppy first)
?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Make a bootable floppy disk
?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Copy the Award flash utility &amp; BIOS file to the said floppy disk
?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Create an autoexec.bat with &quot;awdfl535 biosfilename&quot; in the content e.g. awdfl535 a619mj21.bin
?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Boot up system with the said floppy (it will take less than 2 minutes before screen comes out)
?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Re-flash the BIOS &amp; reboot.

Procedure for flashing BIOS FAT file system
1.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Check your BIOS for BIOS FLASH Protection &amp; DISABLED it, some boards have this function.
For Example:
K7N420 Pro (MS-6373) - BIOS setup/Integrated Peripherals/BIOS Protect/Disabled

2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Know Your model number
a. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number on the motherboard between the PCI slots, also check the version number that is written there as well. (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number)
b. Boot up your system &amp; take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like &quot;W6373MS v2.1 122101&quot; This means the board is MS-6373 with BIOS version 2.1
Hint : Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, you can either press &quot;PAUSE&quot; or disable the &quot;Quick Boot&quot; in the BIOS setup.

3.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is Intel P4 478 type then look here.
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here

4.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Extract the BIOS-archive that you have downloaded by double clicking to c:\test

5.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Boot your system from a Win98 or WinME boot-floppy.
How to make boot floppy in case your don't have it ready:
For Win9X, You can type [C:\ format a:/s] from the DOS prompt.
For WinMe, You can make a boot floppy from control panel--&gt; add/remove program--&gt;make boot floppy. Remove autoexec.bat &amp; config.sys file if there's any.
For Win2000, there's no way to make boot floppy, so you have to either use Win9X or WinME boot floppy.
For WinXP, you can make a DOS boot disk. Go to Your Computer, right click drive A:, select Format, select copy system files.

6.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;When you get the A:\ prompt, type the following sequence:
C: &lt;enter&gt;
cd\test &lt;enter&gt;
C:\test&gt; awdfl783m w6330vms.320 &lt;enter&gt;
(w6330vms.320 refers to BIOS file, this will depend on the board model)
(to save or not to save old BIOS is the user's decision)

7.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Reboot your system when prompted
None FAT file systems i.e. XP and NTFS file system
1.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Check your BIOS for BIOS FLASH Protection &amp; DISABLED it, some boards have this function.
For Example:
K7T266 Pro (MS-6380) -BIOS setup/chipset setup/BIOS protection/disabled

2.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Know Your model number
a. Open your case and look for the MS-XXXX number on the motherboard between the PCI slots, also check the version number that is written there as well. (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number)
b. Boot up your system &amp; take a look at the top left screen during POST, you should see something like &quot;A6380MS v1.7 122101&quot; This means the board is MS-6380 with BIOS version 1.7
Hint : Many systems are clearing this message very fast, the bios version is then unreadable, you can either press &quot;PAUSE&quot; or disable the &quot;Quick Boot&quot; in the BIOS setup.

3.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Download the BIOS that matches your motherboard AND version number (some motherboards are named like K7T Turbo, make sure you have the right version number). BIOS can be found according to the CPU type of your board like if your CPU is Intel P4 478 type then look here
if you cannot find the BIOS that matches your board, try here

4.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Extract the file you have downloaded to a floppy (not the win ME/98 startup floppy) by double clocking the file in windows mode and supplying the path a:\

5.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Boot the computer using a windows ME or windows 98 startup disk. It must be one of these! A plain boot disk will not be good enough.
If you do not have Windows ME or 98 to create the floppy you can make one on a friend's computer or download a self creating copy from a website such as www.bootdisk.com.
6.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Once the computer has started booting from the disk an option menue will apeare on the screen with several options.
Please select the option to boot with CDROM support and press the enter key.

7.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;When boot is done there will be a message on the screen showing :&quot;Diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive&quot; followed by a single letter.
This letter is the leter assigned to the RAMDRIVE. This RAMDRIVE is a virtual drive in the system memory and can be accessed and controlled like any other drive with DOS commands such as:
MD - Make Directory
Copy - copy a file
Deleate - Deleate a file
There is one important difference which is that being in the system memory this drive is wiped once the computer is restarted or shut down.

8.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Replace the startup floppy with the one containing the flash utility and bios ROM files previously extracted in windows
9.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Copy the 2 files to the RAMDRIVE by using the DOS command copy.
Here is an example, in this example the flash utility is AWFL814B.EXE ,the ROM file is w6373nms.220 and the RAMDRIVE letter assignment is D
copy awfl814b.exe d:\
copy w6337nms.220 d:\
10.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Change the current working directory to the RAMDRIVE root directory, with the example case of the RAMDRIVE being drive D this is simply done with the command d:
11.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Execute the flash utility with the ROM file as a command line argument, with this example:
awfl814b w6373nms.220
If you wish to save the current bios you must specify the full path a:\filename. Specifying only a file name will save the bios to the RAMDRIVE which will be wiped after restarting the computer and the file will not be saved.
a:\bios.old is an example of the correct way to save the bios.
12.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Reboot your system when prompted.
13.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If your system doesn't boot after you flashed, please refer to the BIOS recovery method as described.

Brian ;D

url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2003, 00:42 »
Thanks Lobo,
   Well, I found these informations on one of the pages of &quot;MSI&quot; reflashing the BIOS.

I think it's too complicated for me. I'll see if I can find someone arround me who can help me, because I don't like to destroy my motherboard by cerain bad mistake.

If someone has an idea for me to make a test for my computer or my motherboard by the help of an interesting program which can detect the problems by itself, and show a report about it,... please let me know!!!

Thank you

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2003, 02:48 »
Is this the program that you meant Adept?

http://www.eurosoft-uk.com/pc_check.htm

If it is there is an evaluation copy that can be downloaded,(hopefully it will not be too limited in its capabilities and will allow you to check the Floppy and its controller at least Joudi).
Just click on DOWNLOADS and it will take you to the page where you can get it from  :-*

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum