Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: RIP Hilda Ogden  (Read 952 times)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
RIP Hilda Ogden
« on: October 15, 2016, 11:27 »
Jean Alexander, who played Coronation Street's Hilda Ogden and Auntie Wainwright in Last of the Summer Wine, has died aged 90.

Alexander portrayed Hilda Ogden, a sharp-tongued, put-upon housewife who was one of Coronation Street's best known characters, from 1964 to 1987. She appeared as shopkeeper Auntie Wainwright, the "absolute favourite part" of her career, for 22 years. She died peacefully in hospital on Friday, her niece said. Alexander had been admitted to Southport hospital, Merseyside, for tests but was discharged after a couple of days and allowed to return to her nursing home, her niece Sonia Hearld said. But on Tuesday she was readmitted to hospital, three days before her death. "My aunt died sadly earlier today," Mrs Hearld, of Selby, North Yorkshire, said on Friday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37662724
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
Re: RIP Hilda Ogden
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 13:02 »
I hadn't realised she was Auntie Wainwright.   :blush:  But I really hated all those characters in Last of the Summer Wine so I should not be surprised.  I've just been looking through the castlist.  Every one of them was cringeworthy and loathsome.  I have no doubt they say the same about me.   ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re: RIP Hilda Ogden
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 16:18 »
I never watched it, and could never see why it was so popular, as the bits I did see were not very funny.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum