Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: CD-R/RW  (Read 910 times)

Offline twiggy

CD-R/RW
« on: June 22, 2003, 11:34 »
I just bought a new 52x24x52x CD-R/RW for the new computer i'm building. But in the mean time i wonted to install it on my older system that is running windows98. Which on the box says it is compatible with. No problems putting it in but when i boot the pc back up it gets to the page just before it loads windows and stops. The page where it says make do this to make boot disk ect. Then it stops! I cant do nothing wiht it but turn the computer off at the wall. The LED on the front flashes but then when it comes to that page the LED stays on. The LED on the CD-R/RW flashes when the c is first turned on but not once after that. Any ideas?

Thanks Mark

Offline greenking

• Loyal Member
Re:CD-R/RW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 12:34 »
It might be that you need to enable it in the BIOS Twiggy.

when you start your computer press the key to enter Bios (usually delete).
Via the IDE HDD Auto Detection option, ensure the drive is detected then save.

Best check with one of the techies before doing this as i dont want to be responsible for being wrong  :)
My goal in life is to become half as good a person as my dog already thinks I am

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2003, 13:23 »
Mark, did you replace an existing CD-ROM drive with the new one?  Did you check the jumper setting on the new drive?  I'm only guessing, but if it's set to 'slave' and it's supposed to be the 'master', and your start up is looking for a CD-ROM, it might not be able to 'see' it.

Just a thought, but as GK said above, one of the more technical people might have a better idea.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline twiggy

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2003, 22:38 »
Ok i have done a straight swop old one out new one in. I have changed the new one to master but still same problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks Mark

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2003, 22:46 »
Sorry for the late reply but been away from "the net" al day Mark  :(

From what you have said it sounds like the BIOS is not recognising the CD Writer correctly.
I think it will be set to auto detect in BIOS but is having difficulty recognising what it is for somereason,that is why it is getting so far anf then "hanging"

What I need you to tell me is how you have installed the new CD Writer.
IS it in addition to the CD Rom or in place of it?
Is it on the Secondary IDE channel or as a Slave to your hard drive on the Primary channel?
As Simon mentioned,are the jumpers set correctly for it being a slave or a primary(there are letters marked C S M stamped in the case above where the jumpers go so that you can set it correctly)  ???

Sorry Mark didnt realise you had posted again while I was writing this  :)

Ok thats one question answered,any more ?

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum