Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: no picture  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:no picture
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2003, 02:26 »
It may be an idea to double check that the CPU is seated properly and that you havent bent a pin while inserting it along with yet another check that the memory is in properly too,as even without the graphics card you should at least get a post beep when you start it up  ???

Adept

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2003, 13:38 »

It may be an idea to double check that the CPU is seated properly and that you havent bent a pin while inserting it along with yet another check that the memory is in properly too,as even without the graphics card you should at least get a post beep when you start it up  ???

Absolutely Sandra. If there are no power on self test beeps, the problem is more fundamental than just a GFX card problem. Although it might just mean that the speaker cable is not installed ::)

I'd be checking that the power and reset cables from the case to the motherboard are connected correctly. As Sandra says, also check that the CPU is correctly installed and there are no bent pins.

Some motherboards have diagnostic LEDs on them. If these are present do they give any clues as to the problem?

Please don't think I'm being patronising, but one thing you might also check is that you haven't mounted the motherboard straight onto the metal backplate of the case instead of using the supplied spacers. I have actually seen this done by a so-called IT Expert who I used to employ :lol: (only I think he spelled it "IT Ecspurt" ;D ;D )

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2003, 16:51 »

i'm building my own pc and i can't get any picture on the moniter on startup. i don't have anything installed on the hard drive

The original post didn't say that the PC would not boot just that the Monitor would not display an image, looking at the ongoing posts it would seem to be either a major Motherboard or Power Supply problem and I would advise you to take it to someone who has a bit more experience with computers my friend, even if you disconnect all the leads to the hard drives/CDs and remove the memory the PC should beep, its also possible that you have fried the CPU if you tried to start the PC without the CPU cooling fan working

Brian ;D

* Adept sorted out the Quote tags for you Brian :)
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline USS Delta

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2003, 19:13 »
the cpu fan is working

theres no lights on the motherboard

i don't have any friends with computers that support ddr ram, i only have 2 ddr and 2 sdram slots, though i haven't tried sdram chips yet

i didn't get any spacers with the motherboard, only screws to put put it on

i didn't get a beep before fitting the gfx card(thought my mother baord had a built in one)

lobo, i'm not gonna buy another video card without knowing if the current ones faulty, i spent over £150 on it

i'll check to see if the cpu hasn't got a bent pin

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2003, 19:27 »

i didn't get any spacers with the motherboard, only screws to put put it on

Are you sure that the motherboard is not shorting out on the case as the spacers usually lift the motherboard clear of the metal base plate by a few millimetres  ???

Adept

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2003, 19:42 »
The spacers normally come with the case USS Delta :)

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2003, 20:59 »
@USS Delta
Check that your speaker is pluged onto the motherboard

The spacers are the brass bits that the motherboard screws screw into, again take all the cards memory and IDE cables off the motherboard and see if it beeps when you switch the PC on if it doesnt beep then the problem is in the motherboard/power supply

"i didn't get a beep before fitting the gfx card"
then its not likely to be your Video card is it?

It should beep even if you remove the memory and the CPU!!!

The suggestion was to try another Video card not buy another one, borrow one off a m8 preferably a PCI or ISA one and try that before you decide on the fault

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum