Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Installing additional HDD  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Installing additional HDD
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 23:04 »
Thats ok Boss  :-*

I thought that he was trying to merge C and D which with his second drive in place wouldnt work as they would then be on different drives  ;)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2003, 23:29 »
Hi Adept, pal  :)

Can leave the contents of D: drive just where they are, for now ? Will it just mean that they wont be getting mirrod onto Disk No1 till I move them over ?  

What if  ;) I made C:drive 25GB and D: Drive 5GB, could I then mirror both of them onto Disk No1, just wanting to evaluate all my options.

I've unallocated Disk No1 Win Disk manager says its 28.63GB and PM says its 29.321.7 GB

He's gone to bed Sandra, well I suppose having a new job he has to be chipper and cheerfull, bright eyed and busy tailed first thing in the morning. ;D ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2003, 23:39 »
Afraid its past Adepts bedtime Tony  :(

Looks like I misunderstood what you were attempting to do earlier when you were on about merging C and D as I assumed that you had your second drive in place at the time and that it was already partitioned  :-*

You may have to wait until the morning for a reply unless Lobo is around later.

I havent done any mirroring(apart from the old "mirror,mirror on the wall" thing when I was younger  ;) )  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 23:44 »
I havent done any mirroring(apart from the old "mirror,mirror on the wall" thing when I was younger  ;) )  ;D ;D ;D

...and they all broke.   ;D ;D :wahh: :wahh:
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 23:46 »

...and they all broke.   ;D ;D :wahh: :wahh:

Mine were all ok Simon,it was the ones in Serenitys house that she broke  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2003, 23:50 »
:lol:  She'll get ya, you know!  Her and that black cat!   ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2003, 01:28 »
@Tony
I just can not understand what you are trying to do my friend, could you possably put it into plain english?

If you are trying to create a Mirror set then read this

mirror set
A fault-tolerant partition created with Windows NT 4.0 or earlier that duplicates data on two physical disks. You can only repair, resynchronize, break, or delete mirror sets in Windows 2000. To create new volumes that are mirrored, use mirrored volumes on dynamic disks.

OK then you can not do this in W2k

What you need to do is create a dynamic disk

dynamic disk
A physical disk that can be accessed only by Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Dynamic disks provide features that basic disks do not, such as support for volumes that span multiple disks. Dynamic disks use a hidden database to track information about dynamic volumes on the disk and other dynamic disks in the computer. You convert basic disks to dynamic by using the Disk Management snap-in or the DiskPart command line utility. When you convert a basic disk to dynamic, all existing basic volumes become dynamic volumes.

NOTE
"all existing basic volumes become dynamic volumes"

OK, now you need To add a mirror to an existing simple volume (You can mirror volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.)

I take it you are runing one of the above?

To open Computer Management, click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
Any existing simple volume can be mirrored onto another dynamic disk, as long as there is sufficient unallocated space on that disk. If you do not have a dynamic disk with enough unallocated space, the Add Mirror menu item is unavailable. (To verify you have enough space, right-click the disk, click Properties, and then check the size in Unallocated Space. This size may be slightly smaller than shown in the graphical and list views.)
Mirrored volumes are fault tolerant and use RAID-1, which provides redundancy by creating two identical copies of a volume.
You cannot extend a simple volume after it has been mirrored.
Both copies (mirrors) of the mirrored volume share the same drive letter.

If you just want to provide a backup drive then create a Norton Ghost image of your drive 0 and then you can burn it to your drive 1 and create a perfect copy compleate with O/S and programs.

Brian  ;D

url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2003, 10:26 »

@Tony
I just can not understand what you are trying to do my friend, could you possably put it into plain english?

Brian  ;D

Nay one Lancashire Hot Pot not understanding another Lancashire Hot Pot, surely that cannot be true Brian  ;D  Anyway thanks for your input, and I?m sorry I missed you last night, but today?s another day, so here goes.

Plan A:
Was to do a backup image of drives C: and D: on Disk 0   onto Disk1.

Plan B:
Then the thought crossed my mind, what if Disk 0 failed, instead of hanging around waiting for a replacement, could I not install the back up image on to a bootable drive on Disk1 and be up and running again. But I never got an answer to Plan B.

Plan C:

Adept came up with the idea of ?mirroring? Disk 0 and Disk1, sounded interesting, so I was looking at that route.

But you say I need to be running on W2K server software to be able to do that, as I?m on W2K Pro,  it looks like it?s back to Plan A or Plan B.

How?s that Brian, clear enough now?  ;)

There were writing to boot sector issues, but I?ll not muddy the water with those at this point in time. I?ll face that particular issue if it becomes a problem when I try and implement which ever Plan I settle on.

So which plan is the most feasiable, baring installing W2K server software ?

Thanks one and all.

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2003, 11:11 »
Nah then lad thats better,
Plan A is still the best, do a drive image and save to the seond drive e.g drive O to drive 1, when creating the image make it in 650Mb chunks then write these images to CDs,

Now if the primary drive goes legs up you can reinstall all you progs and software to a new/other drive within 20 min

All reet lad

Brian :lol: :welldone:
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2003, 12:04 »

Nah then lad thats better,
Plan A is still the best, do a drive image and save to the seond drive e.g drive O to drive 1, when creating the image make it in 650Mb chunks then write these images to CDs,

reet thars saying have two back ups, one on Disk 1 and one on a set of back up CD's ?

Now if the primary drive goes legs up you can reinstall all you progs and software to a new/other drive within 20 min

You mean install on to a new HDD other then Disk 1?

Brian what's wrong with Plan B exactly?

It just seems a waste of a HDD to me, I was thinking I only need one drive on my main HDD. And I was thinking of making my 30GB HDD, into Disk 0, as it is SMART technology enabled. And making my 40GB HDD, Disk 1 with say a 10GB partition on it to store the compressed image of the 30GB HDD. And using the remaining 30GB on Disk 1 as a bootable partition where I could pop a saved copy of the contents of Disk 0. Still with me mate  ;) Are there pitfalls with an arrangement like that, it's just as I'm at the non comitted stage I could experiment  ::)

Adept

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 13:43 »

(You can mirror volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.)

Ah b%$£#~! :-[

Sorry for misleading you Tony. You can see that I spend most of my time with server versions of Win2K ;) I know XP Pro can definitely do mirroring and striping, so there's one reason for upgrading :D

Take Brian's advice Tony. Ghosting is the next best solution to your problem.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 13:45 »
I think either way would work ok Tony.
Just by backing up to CD it is a "belt and braces" way in case you get a virus or even a double drive failure or even if you get another PC then you could "Clone" if from your cd backups.
Having it ghosted to drive 1 would just mean you could cut out the loading it back from cd stage.
Of course the deciding factor would be how big the "image" that you want to back up is and how much you are prepared to use of your new,extra storage capacity if you decide to keep the image on your drive 1 after burning it to CDs  :-*

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 14:25 »

(You can mirror volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, or Windows 2000 Datacenter Server.)

Ah b%$£#~! :-[

Sorry for misleading you Tony. You can see that I spend most of my time with server versions of Win2K ;) I know XP Pro can definitely do mirroring and striping, so there's one reason for upgrading :D

Take Brian's advice Tony. Ghosting is the next best solution to your problem.

Well Adept, I have the 'Disk Management' gubbins on my PC so I'm inclined to think mirroring is possible, erst will why would these help files be on my PC?
To add a mirror to an existing simple volume

Open Disk Management.
Right-click the simple volume you want to mirror, click Add Mirror, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
 Notes

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
To open Disk Management, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree under Storage, click Disk Management.
You can mirror volumes only on computers running Windows 2000 Server.
Any existing simple volume can be mirrored onto another dynamic disk, as long as there is sufficient unallocated space on that disk. If you don't have a dynamic disk with enough unallocated space, the Add Mirror command is unavailable. (To verify you have enough space, right-click the disk, click Properties, and then check the size in Unallocated Space. This size may be slightly smaller than shown in the graphical and list views.)
Mirrored volumes are fault tolerant.
You cannot extend a simple volume after it has been mirrored.
The same drive letter is used for both copies (mirrors) of a mirrored volume.