Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Pc trouble :/  (Read 7439 times)

Offline Solo_

Re:Pc trouble :/
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2003, 21:02 »
I've got 2 sticks of 256 ram, i tried with one in, same prob, switched them, same prob, so i'm trying different bays now. Still stumped tho :/

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2003, 21:09 »
Did you try this :

One thing they mention on there is that there are issues with 400MHz memory. You need to press CTRL-F1 on boot up to set the memory speed as per a 333. You also need to set the Bios to optimal and not performance. The latest bios is version F13 and also seems to be the most stable.

Which Dack found out off that forum the other day,it may be as simple as that :doggie:

Offline Solo_

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2003, 22:58 »
The memory i've had for 4 months + and never had any probs. I think summin just packed in :/

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2003, 23:05 »
I would still give it a try Solo,you can always change it back again afterwards if it doesnt make any difference.
XP seems to manage its memory differently to other OSs and you said it was only since putting XP on that the trouble started so theres a good chance that it is the memory thing after all :doggie:

Offline Solo_

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2003, 01:37 »
Still does it under Win ME :/

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2003, 01:41 »
Houston we have a problem  :o

Sorry Solo it sounds like substitute,substite and substitute again to me  :'(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2003, 02:51 »

My gfx card spec says it needs a 350 psu, but the older card didnt, and have the same prob, but could it be the psu?

Did you try a new PSU Solo ?
I have just re read everything on this thread and you stated that you had a 300 watt PSU but that this needs a 350 for the card to work correctly also you have a 2600 CPU which I think likes more than  a 300 watt supply.
I would definately be swapping that as soon as possible.

There are some QTEC ones here 400,450 and 550 which seem quite reasonable from £14-28 to £19-20 plus vat plus postage.
A friend has used a few of the Qtec 550 models and found them to be quite good and quiet in use  :doggie:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=177

Offline Solo_

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2003, 21:22 »
After i replace this, if i still get probs, im lost, its passed all test's .. altough the software don't test the PSU, so hopefully it's that.

Offline Solo_

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2003, 22:06 »
Also if it is the PSU can this still cause blue screens? One last thing i ain't checked is my hdd, whats the command to do a full hdd scan to look for bad sectors? also i was told to do a "format c:\ /u" whats a uncondisional format actually do?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2003, 23:26 »
I think that its just scandisk at the C prompt Solo.
I dont know about that command for the "format c:\ /u",I wouldnt put a format command anywhere with or without any extra bits at all unless I wanted to wipe my drive  :o

Offline Solo_

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2003, 23:39 »
What about the blue screens, can that be casued by PSU?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2003, 23:41 »
Not sure Solo but it sounds likely if it cant provide enough power for the card  :(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2003, 00:04 »
I have been looking around in different places on the net and saw this Solo :

I think that the proble is wider than that. I have had PSU problems you might find hard to believe ! I had one system for my sister-in-law that worked fine on my workbench, and would bluescreen at her house. I got another PSU (same rating, better quality), and it worked fine at her house. And this was a 235 watt PSU for a 233 mhz computer just one year ago !!@!! (she only uses word processing and email over 56k)

So if I was a betting person I would put my money on it being a dodgy or underpowered PSU :doggie:

Offline Solo_

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2003, 03:20 »
Been meaning for a while to get a more powerful PSU anyway, i think it's when i added a 2nd hdd i started getting probs if i recall, but i might not be right, was a while ago :/ ( also thanks for all the help :P )

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum