Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Geforce 4 - TI4200 at £48.12  (Read 4922 times)

Offline Camstop

• Loyal Member
Re:Geforce 4 - TI4200 at £48.12
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2003, 17:10 »
Back in February when i got Tiger woods 2003 and Rallisport challenge.. ;)..i found that my Radeon 7000 wasn't up to the job.. :-\..I could play Tiger woods with restricted graphics and couldn't play rallisport at all..... ::)

After a chat with Hitch and a squint about...i was going for the Radion 9000pro (the pro gives you transfer & lighting which you need for some of the latest games). ::)

Well surprisingly enough...Dabs came out triumphs. :o..and knowing how quick the deliver..i couldn't resist...Why not have a look your self....Here

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2003, 18:52 »
Thanks Cammy.   :)  Actually the GeForce 4 MX440-8x 128MB DDR AGP looks very tempting, at a fraction over £46.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2003, 19:38 »
I got that one a couple of weeks back locally for £49 and its fine for what I need so far Simon.
Going to get a S-Vid lead tomorrow as I have a div x movie on PC that I cant get onto cd yet so I want to watch it from PC on my TV.
I wasnt bothered about having TV out but seeing as it has it I may as well use it,especially if theres nothing but football and soaps on the TV as it appears to be at the moment  :(
Funnily enough it says its 128 DDR but on the box it says max avaliable memory is 64 so presumably its 2x 64 but why doesnt it say that  ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2003, 20:02 »
Can someone explain what is 4x, 8x etc, and is it better to have, say, a 64Mb 8x gphx card, or a 128Mb 4x?  Obviously the best is to have both, but I'd like to know what the differences are.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2003, 20:21 »
Its the data transfer rate Simon so 8x is twice as fast as a 4x which is twice as fast as a 2x.
A lot of the time unles you have a really graphic intensive game running you probably wouldnt notice any difference  :doggie:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2003, 20:54 »
Bit of swings and roundabouts when it comes to graphics cards.

8x and 4x refer to the speed at which data can be transfered to the card. Unlike Ye Olde Days though this is not a simple indication of how fast a card is. Neither is the amount of memory on it.

Modern cards work using the idea of a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) where it is the card itself that does all the neat things with the graphics data to produce the image - texture and lighting being one example. A faster AGP allows you to transfer the data to the GPU quicker while a larger memory means you can store more of it before needing to transfer again. This only starts to have an effect at higher resolutions (when more data needs to be transfered).

Usually an 8x card and a 4x card will have the same sort of performance figures as this will be mostly affected by the speed of the GPU in it. Any real differences will be down to the speed of the AGP bus while it transfers the data to the on card memory.

The link I provide earlier to Toms Hardware pretty much shows that. If you read the article through to the end and have a look at the second part (where it compares the same graphics cards on different speed processors) you'll see that the 64M 4x 4200 massivly outperforms the 128M 8x MX440. While a 128M 8x 4200 is pretty much the same as the 64M 4x 4200 (and only really starts beating it when the resolutions increase over 1200)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2003, 22:29 »
Well, what it does show is that the cheapo Radeon 7000  I put in this new machine is the bottom of each list, and was obviously a mistake, which may well become apparent when games are played.

Although the MX-440 8x is no where near the top of the performance ratings, it does seem reasonably respectable for the price, and vastly out-performs the Radeon 7000.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2003, 20:03 »
<<SIGH>>  Received this e-mail from Watford, two days after canceling the order  ::)

Thank you for your order placed with Savastore for the Geforce 4 Ti4200 64Mb DVI TV AGP Graphics OEM.
We regret to advise that due to a pricing error, we are unable to offer you the item at the original offer price and this offer has now been withdrawn.  The price has thus increased to 54.00 plus vat and we will be pleased to accept your order at the new revised cost. (I bet you will!) In the interim your order has been held, kindly advise how you wish us to proceed.

Well, I kindly advised them to stick it.  In the nicest possible way, of course!   ;)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2003, 15:43 »
Just got back from Texas and had the same email waiting for me....however theres a charge for £48.12 pending on my credit card. You may want to check yours.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2003, 16:02 »
I expect you already know this, Dack, but for the benefit of any who don't, sometimes there can be a charge 'pending' on a card for some time.  It's not actually charged, just 'reserved' for when the charge comes into effect, i.e. when the item is ready to ship.  Many online retailers use this method.  

According to 'My Account' at Watford, the order is definitely cancelled.  Unfortunately I have used a Virgin card for all my purchases for this PC build, and they do not have an online service as yet, so I will have to wait for my statement to see if there is anything on there which shouldn't be.  I suppose I could ring them up, but that will be 30 minutes of my life listening to silly music, and about a minute actually talking to someone.  I think I'll wait for the statement!  

I do however, wonder if this practise of hiking advertised prices, then claiming 'it was a mistake', is actually legal.  Surely there is a Contract Of Sale if the seller offers an item at a certain price, and accepts the buyers offer to purchase?  If the seller then changes the price, surely that is breach of contract?  If it was advertised for 4p, or something obviously unrealistic, that's different, but £40 for a graphics card is not an unrealistic amount, so although I don't actually want the card now, I believe they should have honoured orders.  :tony:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2003, 20:35 »
So will that be 'another' PC components retailer struck of your prefered deal list Simon?

Considering CCl last week, at this rate you'll be buying through me shortly  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2003, 21:02 »
Well, it does make me annoyed when businesses, particularly online retailers, behave in this way.  They seem to have no respect for the customer, I mean, 48 working hours (that's six days!) to generate an approval (an approval??) for me to return an faulty hard drive, like they are doing me a favour by taking it back!  And they expected me to wait until they had ackowledged receipt of the returned drive, before they would send a replacement?  Like, who's in the right here?  I paid my money, they sent me a duff drive.  Not their fault, they weren't to know, but in these circumstances, the customer says jump, and the retailer should say "how high?".

As far as CCL goes, I probably would use them again, as had I not been impatient, I wouldn't have received the wrong information.  I wouldn't have received any information, but at least it wouldn't have been wrong, and the monitor would have arrived on time.  I'm actually compiling another potential shopping list at this moment, so online retailers BEWARE!!!   ;D ;D

Adept

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2003, 21:07 »

Just got back from Texas

Doing a bit of DIY Dack? I prefer B&Q myself ;) ;D ;D :banana:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2003, 21:15 »
You know that £8.50 'vacumm cleaner' case fan I got on Sunday, well I emailed em to say I would be returning it. Fine say they, 20% restocking charge £1.70 in my case.

That's just 5p less than the fan that I really wanted, cost me from CCl and it too was in a hook hanging retail box.

So why dont the local PC components retailer stock em one could ask, but I didn't.....Well that's the last time I use them, bought all sorts of them in the past, HDD's graphics cards, etc......well no more.
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2003, 21:19 »

Just got back from Texas

Doing a bit of DIY Dack? I prefer B&Q myself ;) ;D ;D :banana:

From the shape I thought it was more BBQ.

Now Texas - theres a blast from the past....

I was in Dallas for a two day meeting so left here 4am Monday, got to the hotel 11pm Monday - had two days of early morning to early evening meetings - then flew back last night at 10pm and got back home about 3pm today. Just off to do the local pub quiz though get the feeling I won't be doing too well.  :yawn: On flight back was stuck behind a guy who sang in his sleep so couldn't get any sleep either (it was all quiet on the aircraft when he suddenly started up with a few unintelligible lines from "Chicago"). All thise were in UK times.

Then spent a good while arguing with people on the phone e.g. NTL who got shirty because I cancelled their direct debit mandate for a service I haven't had since last December - though there was an outstanding balance that they wanted me to send a cheque to them for about £1.30 :brick:

And relax.....now off to pub

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum