Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: How to swap an install of XP from one motherboard to another  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
Had to do this a while back as someone wanted to upgrade their processor and motherboard while keeping all their hard drive data intact.

The problem comes down to XP not installing the correct drivers for the other motherboard and as a result it gives an error on bootup and doesn't allow you to get into Windows (this is usually related to swapping between boards with different hard drive controllers).

The solution is detailed at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314082

And comes down to installing all the required drivers before swapping boards.

And yes it does work and may save someone having to completely install Windows XP again (also good for creating a 'universal' initial partition to write to a drive when building machines with different types of MBs)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:How to swap an install of XP from one motherboard to anot
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 11:50 »
Oh Bugger!  Are you saying that if I was to upgrade a PC with a new Motherboard, CPU, Memory, and Gphx Card, I wouldn't be able to keep the original hard drive intact without using that method?  Glad you mentioned it now, Dack!   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 13:16 »
It depends on a couple of things Simon.
I have put my hard drive in various pcs to transfer files to it prior to wiping that pcs original one to reinstall or change the OS then I can transfer files back later.
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt as XP "takes a picture" of the hardware that was on the pc when it was originally installed and compares it to what it detects on the new pc.
If there is a major difference detected such as a motherboard or possibly a CPU then it wont work unless you use the method that Dack explained.
I think this is Microsofts way of stopping you setting XP up on a drive on your PC and then transferring the drive into another PC as that would be one way of getting around the authentification bit that XP uses after installing it which only allows a certain number of reinstalls before requiring you to contact Microsoft for an activation code :doggie:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 13:21 »
Mmmm... simpler to zap the drive really.  I don't think this machine I may be upgrading will be able to keep the hard drive intact anyway, as it's one of those with XP pre-installed, and we haven't got a  recovery CD.  I just hope that I can re-install XP, from a full XP CD, on a 'clean' drive, using the original product key for the pre-installed version.   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 15:37 »
They guy who upgraded my PC had to reboot my HDD when I got this new motherboard, was well worth it though  ;D
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 23:52 »
Thank for that link Dack,

I've loaded up OS and progs before on my PC and transfered them to another mobo setup OK. But this week I had the very problem you outlined, so I just copied the file onto a floppy loaded it into the OS on the HDD to be moved and BINGO. Dead easy....well it has to be for me...... I reckon I can talk Simon around to using it, if I zip it and bung it in an email  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 00:10 »

It depends on a couple of things Simon.
I have put my hard drive in various pcs to transfer files to it prior to wiping that pcs original one to reinstall or change the OS then I can transfer files back later.
Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt as XP "takes a picture" of the hardware that was on the pc when it was originally installed and compares it to what it detects on the new pc.
If there is a major difference detected such as a motherboard or possibly a CPU then it wont work unless you use the method that Dack explained.
I think this is Microsofts way of stopping you setting XP up on a drive on your PC and then transferring the drive into another PC as that would be one way of getting around the authentification bit that XP uses after installing it which only allows a certain number of reinstalls before requiring you to contact Microsoft for an activation code :doggie:

Sort of :)

The problem you are concerned with is the activation issue which is a problem when you change more than 3 components IIRC - windows will still boot and allow you to acess files etc. but you will need to activate again (unless you are using a corporate - or Thai version it transpires (as Microsoft don't require it on theirs http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11058 )) The problem the link solves is a hardware issue where Windows XP refuses to allow you to even get to the activation point - it gives you a BSOD while trying to initialise on the new board.

Even if you do the fix there may still be a need to do the activation.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 00:26 »
Thanks for clarifying that Dack  :-*

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 00:06 »

I just copied the file onto a floppy loaded it into the OS on the HDD to be moved and BINGO. Dead easy....well it has to be for me...... I reckon I can talk Simon around to using it, if I zip it and bung it in an email  ;D

Ok Dack or anyone who can think of anything to try  ???
I installed XP on a 40 gig drive earlier today in a pc with an AMD 700 cpu in an Abit mobo.
I added the file to the registry that Tony had kindly sent me.
I put the drive in an AMD XP 2000+ cpu equipped Gigabyte mobo.
It just constantly reboots and never gets past the options for safe mode/last good config/start windows normally etc bit.
No matter which option I try it just reboots  :(
It has not been on the net on either pc so its not a virus.
I have just replaced that drive in teh 700 cpu pc and it came up with a message saying that the cpu had been changed, or words to that effect and something about going to a soft menu or something press F1 to continue.
I did that and its running fine in that pc.
Does the article on the MS site only work for similarly rated cpus as that was the message that came up when I changed it back  ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 00:47 »
I have unticked the restart after system failure while the drive was in the pc with 700 cpu in and fitted teh drive back in the 2000+ cpu pc.
Its stopped it rebooting and is now getting the STOP : 0x0000007B error but with different nos in the brackest after it to the one in the article you mentioned in your link Dack, any ideas ?
Would the full code be any use if I copied it here ?

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 01:17 »
Suggest you might want to try installing the AMD fix from Microsoft for the K7s/Athlons. It's a fix for the extra power save modes the later chips support.

http://www.billssite.com/XP%20essentials.htm

A sneaky way of forcing a boot is going into the bios and switching off the ACPI.

WHich version of XP are you installing? The fix was included in the SP1 release.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 01:22 »
Thanks Dack, its XP pro with SP1 included  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 01:39 »
I cant see which one you are referring to on that link Dack but I must already have it if its included in SP1  :(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 02:23 »
I dont know how or why but I gave up trying to get it to start normally or in safe mode and choose last known good configuration.
Its now running ok on the XP 2000+ pc and I am installing the av and other progs on it now  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 08:20 »
Funny that Sandra, it works every time for me whatever the size of the CPU, or the Mobo. Last one I did it on, it was a Duron 1.3GHZ, one before that was a XP2500+ Barton. I use W2K Pro, so maybe it had something to do with the XP restore  facility screwing it up.

But glad to see it sorted it's self out  :-*

PS: I forgot to mention it in the PM's, but it sounds like you got a good deal with the CPU/Mobo combo.  :)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum