Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: How to swap an install of XP from one motherboard to another  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:How to swap an install of XP from one motherboard to anot
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2004, 14:59 »
One problem that I did notice about adding that file to the registry was that I had done it on the pc I am now using before adding it on the drive I was trying it out on and I found that I was getting Norton AV updates which said they were downloaded and installed but the definitions date didnt change  ???
I added the file on the 20th and even though it had updated on the 21st and the 22nd it still found and installed the update even if I did it manually.
My other pc was showing it as being the 21st.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Norton AV and its updated properly and now shows the date for the 21st as it shoud do.
So it looks like it affects the Norton AV in some way if its installed prior to adding the file to the registry.
Thats easy enough to sort out though and will save me all the hassle of setting my server up again when I get around to swapping the drives from that pc to the new one, hopefully  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2004, 16:07 »
never had that prob Sandra because I add that file prior to installing NAV. I load OS, all updates and all programs [except NAV] then I image it and store it. Then when NAV is due for subscription renewal, I just  restore that image of C:Drive. And when I reinstall NAV, it thinks it is the first time it has been on the PC. I'm on Norton System Works 2003, but I've got definition update privliges till 18/04/05  ;D
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 21:24 »
Houston we have a problem  :(
I want to replace my old AMD 450 cpu pc that I use as a server with the Athlon XP 2000+ cpu that I mentioned earlier in this thread.
As I cant find out how to save and export the settings for the server names, user names, passwords and permissions etc I wanted to image the boot drive of the 450 and transfer it it the the boot drive of my 2000+.
I ran the reg file and then used Drive Image to create an image on the second partition of the drive that will be my boot drive and then installed it in the 2000+ one and restored the image to the C drive.
No matter what I do it just blue screens with the same STOP: 0x 000007B message as the last one I did.
I managed to sort that one out by selecting use last known good configuration but that wont work on this one.
I have tried that drive in the 700 cpu pc as well with the same result.
I have tried it back in the 450 as the boot drive and it works fine and all the server settings are there too so the image has been created and restored correctly.
I even unistalled Norton AV from the recreated boot drive and ran the reg file again in case it was stopping it writing the fix to the registery correctly.
I am now stuck for ideas and look forward to hearing any of yours  :)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2004, 23:17 »
This is what I do Sandra, I image [and store to a backup partition]the C:drive on my Matrox 30GB HDD. I then restore that image of C:Drive onto my 40GB Samsung drive. Which incidently is already partitioned into four partitions.

When restoring an image to its original drive or on a completly new one, Drive Image first has to "unallocate" the space on the partition you chose to "restore" to. I use the term "restore" even if you are putting it on a new HDD.

Hope it helps.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2004, 23:24 »
That what I did after messing it up the first time Tony.
Initially I had saved the image to the partition that was to be the new boot partition only to find that it wont allow it to recreate the boot drive on the same partition as the image was saved to.
I know that the recreated boot drive is ok now as it will work as the boot drive back in the original pc that it was created in and has done the bit I wanted it to do which is to keep all the information for my server intact.
The problem seems to be to get the new drive working in the new pc as the reg file I added to it doesnt seem to work this time where it did on the last drive I moved from pc to pc  :(

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2004, 23:35 »
As you know I have only used that "mergeide" file I sent you on W2K Pro.

what OS are you using on your server ?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2004, 23:46 »
XP pro Tony, but that reg file worked on the drive I installed XP pro on last week and added it to it and used it in my new pc as a test before moving the server drive.
I have just tried the original drive from the server in the 700mb cpu pc and its doing the same, just blue screens  ???

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2004, 00:21 »
I think you are looking at a new XP/server installation Sandra. the image that XP takes of the system contains more than just the IDE drivers it records all the major components e.g CPU, motherboard, video and sound cards just to name a few, and was designed by M/soft to stop you doing what you are trying to do

Brian ;D
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2004, 00:44 »
I realise that Lobo but if it worked for me last week by adding that reg file from the link that Dack put on earlier and its worked for Dack and Tony then it should work again this week shouldnt it  ???

Offline lobo

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2004, 00:49 »

I realise that Lobo but if it worked for me last week by adding that reg file from the link that Dack put on earlier and its worked for Dack and Tony then it should work again this week shouldnt it  ???

Maybe you were just lucky, nowt as funny as PCs though

Brian ;D

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.

Adept

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2004, 07:11 »
Stop 0x7B is usually a driver issue Sandra. Windows has lost contact with th eboot partition.

I have resolved this problem in the past by installing any device drivers for the new PC on the old one before imaging it. This way when the new PC boots the drivers it requires are already available for it to install.

I have a feeling that an upgrade of Windows over the top of the new PC would bring it back working too.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2004, 14:20 »
Thanks Sean, I found an article that says how to repair it without losing installed progs and settings so am currently trying that, keep your fingers crossed  ;)

I dont know if anyone has tried doing it this way, I havent before :

How to Repair Install: (also called "In place reinstall")
Sometimes the only way to repair XP is to reinstall. You do not have to wipe your partition and start over. Just as with previous versions of Windows you can install over top of an existing setup. This has the advantage of retaining your installed applications, data and settings. You will lose previously saved System Restore Points but System Restore will begin creating new restore points again immediately following the Repair Install. You will need to reinstall SP1a and any Critical Updates from the Windows Update Site. Be aware that a Repair Install will leave your system vulnerable to the Blaster and Welchia worms. Do not go on line until you have enabled XP's firewall first. Then visit the Windows Update Site to patch your system  It is always prudent to backup important data before you make changes to XP.

There are two approaches. The first one should be used if you can still boot to your Windows Desktop. Simply pop the XP CD into the CD-Rom drive and select Install->Upgrade[recommended]. This will install XP overtop of itself in the same way as upgrading from a previous setup. However if your version is an OEM version then you will not have this option. If you do not see the option to Upgrade[recommended] DO NOT choose New Install as that will either overwrite your current setup completely or give you a dual boot setup.

If you cannot boot to the Desktop or you have an OEM version of XP then the following should be used to complete a Repair Install.

Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key

You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the agreement press F8 to proceed.

The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to "Repair the selected Windows XP installation." Press "R"

Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the installation  and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time just wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed. Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.

When Setup has completed you should find all of your previously installed apps and settings are intact.
--------------------------------------------------------------

If it doesnt work I will either have to set up the server again or I can always restore the image again and play around some more.
It would have been so much easier if I could have found out how to save and export the settings for the users of my server but all I have found so far is how to import them from an external database  :(
If anyone knows how to do this in WS-FTP Server v 4.0 then that may save me a lot of hassle  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 14:41 »
It appears to have worked as its up and running and all the users are still in the server settings and most of the permissions look ok but a couple of folders have ALL* users which they shouldnt have but at least its easier to correct the permissins than to start afresh again  :)
I had to activate XP again but thats done now so it looks like alls well that ends well  :)

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 15:13 »
Glad to see you're up and running again  :)

Offline lobo

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2004, 18:20 »
Presumaly you used the second option

Boot with the Windows XP CD and at the Setup Screen press the Enter Key

You will be taken to the Windows XP Licensing Agreement. After reading the agreement press F8 to proceed.

The next screen gives you the option to do a fresh (clean) install or to "Repair the selected Windows XP installation." Press "R"

Windows XP will copy the necessary files to your Hard Drive to begin the installation  and will then reboot. You will see the message that informs you to "Press any key to boot the CD". Do not press any keys this time just wait a few seconds and the Windows Startup Screen will be displayed. Following this you will be greeted by the Windows XP Setup Screens.

When Setup has completed you should find all of your previously installed apps and settings are intact.

I'm happy that it worked for you but its not something I would recommend anyway expert in emergency, a format and clean install is much better as it gets rid of all the junk you have accumulated

Brian ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum