Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: How to swap an install of XP from one motherboard to another  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:How to swap an install of XP from one motherboard to anot
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2004, 02:41 »

Presumaly you used the second option

I'm happy that it worked for you but its not something I would recommend anyway expert in emergency, a format and clean install is much better as it gets rid of all the junk you have accumulated

Brian ;D

Yes I did use the second option Brian  :)
There wouldnt be much junk on as I had never had many programs on it other than the WS-FTP Server and a few bits and pieces.

After all that messing about to get the drive working with an image of my original drive I was pleased to see all the usernames for the server were still in but the permissions had changed.
No big deal really so I set about setting the permissions up again and re-naming the folders to the new ones.
All was looking good.
The IP assingned by my router had changed so it meant I had to reconfigure the virtual servers in the router and delete the old ones to allow the server to pass through it.
Then I noticedthat the root folder for all the server information was stored in Home-hdioojpqw, you know the silly random name that windows gives each pc when you install it, and because I had done that repair thing I posted it had re-named it with a new name  :o
I found out how to re-name the location to the new computers name and did that.
Opened the folder in the server prog to find that all the users had disappeared   :'(
Obviously the information was stored in the folder in the location in the old drive and by renaming it it cant access it and without it having the correct pc name the server program wont run properly  :(
So I uninstalled it and reinstalled and had to set it up from scratch, if only that reg file would have worked on it or if I had found how to export user names so I could reimport them then it would have all been sorted by 8pm last night   :'(

Anyway its back up and running now and as it was the second time I had set it up I had learned from the mistakes I made the first time and have most users in a group so that the users with the same permissions just need to be allocated to the group and not the individual.
The first time I had to set 33 permissions for each folder and virtual folder on it  :o
This time the most I had to set were 3  :)
Also it looks neater when you log on with shorter paths to the relevant folders now than it had originally  :)

Offline lobo

• http://www.burnleywood.com
Re:How to swap an install of XP from one motherboard to anot
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2004, 09:24 »
I thought that you would end up reinstalling eventually, It would have been good if the reg thing had worked but server applications and XP require folders and files to be named in certain ways and to be in certain areas, again this is a security thing.  the main thing are allocating permissions to groups as you have now done this means that with one click you can allow or deny permissions easily

Brian :rock:
url=http://pc-pals.com/userpics/loboPC.swf]Flash[/url]

All the survivors of the war had reached their homes and so put the perils of battle and the sea behind them.
Homer   , The Odyssey, line 1

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum