Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Graphic Card TV Out  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Graphic Card TV Out
« on: August 11, 2003, 21:03 »
I recently bought a Geforce 4 MX440SE 128mb DDR AGP card with TV out,its made by A-TEK (whoever they are  ::) but it has a NVIDIA chipset).
I bought an S-vid lead today to connect my PC to my TV as I have some Div X films on my pc which I would like to be able to watch on my TV.
After a lot of messing about updating drivers for multi monitor support etc I have now got a 25 inch monitor in the opposite corner of my lounge to my PC  ;D
I can now see my desktop,open and see any folders etc,I even have that Fat b*****d animated character of Joudis running across my TV screen at times.
The one thing that I cant get it to do is the one thing that I want it to do,ie play my movies on it  :(
The player opens and plays the film on my PC monitor ok but on the TV the player appears but has no film playing in it,just a purplish area where the film is showing on my monitor  :'(
I have tried playing them with windows media player 9,winamp 3 and power dvd 4 all 3 do the same,play fine on the PC monitor but wont play on the TV.
Help required please  :-*

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Re:Graphic Card TV Out
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2003, 21:17 »
I was sent the GeForce 4 Ti4200 Basic pack so that came with TV-out instead if VIVO but I don't want to have to send it away. I would also like to know about this  ;D
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline DJ

• Established Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2003, 21:33 »
I had a similar problem sandra with a direct 'tv-out' port on my laptop. When it connected to the tv - you could see the desktop and the media player, but a purple/black area where the movie was playing - you could see the movie on the laptop.

The problem was it was outputing in NTSC (US) and not PAL (UK).

I could be miles off  :P - but try changing some of your display settings on your PC or TV if the option exists for PAL output.

Good Luck - Let us know how you get on.  ;)

DJ1UK

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2003, 21:36 »
You may have to convert the movie files to PAL though not sure  :-[
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 21:40 »
Ok its sorted now thanks to a bit more investigating and Adept pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks once again Sean  :-*

There is a setting called OVERLAY CONTROLS in the graphic card properties.
Under FULL SCREEN VIDEO MONITORING OPTIONS it has a FULL SCREEN DEVICE with 3 options,DISABLE,PRIMARY DISPLAY and SECONDARY DISPLAY.
It was initially set to DISABLE so I changed it to PRIMARY DISPLAY this made the film play at full screen on my PC monitor and smaller size with the other windows around it on my TV  :(
I then changed the setting to SECONDARY DISPLAY and I have my PC monitor back to normal and full video display on my TV  :)
All I need to do now is sort my audio out and get it playing through my home cinema and then I can watch Div X  at last on my TV :doggie:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 21:42 »
Hi Sandra,

Once, I succeded to have the screen of my TV as a monitor to my PC. I didn't try any film then. I'll try to make the connection again now. I hope I didn't forget the steps to do it. I have Gforce 2. TV out. If it works with me I'll tell you. But I don't thik that I'm capable to help someone like you. You are our teacher  ;). I can only tell you the result.

I think that you well know, even if it works, it'll not be as clear as the PC monitor.

Je vais essayer malgré la chaleur etouffante ici à Paris. Et Je te ferai savoir à quel resultat J'arrive.

A tout à l'heure
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 21:54 »
Merci beaucoup Joudi tu est tres gentil mais maintenant il fait traveilleur  :-*

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2003, 22:36 »
Hi again Sandra,

Well I'm writing this now and watching everything on my TV screen.

I tried DIVX too, and a film DivX, everything is working nicely.

Well, I'm here to help, lttle girl  ;). Let me be at least some seconds your teacher!  :D.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2003, 22:42 »
One is never too old or too knowledgeable to learn from others Joudi,especially with PC things.
I know more today than I did yesterday and hopefully I will know more tomorrow,I just wish that I didnt forget what I had learned the day before though  ::)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 22:44 »
Glad your sorted Sandra,

but lets get one thing clear joudi..............was that photo taken during the war, because I dont want you attempting to cradle snatch our little Sandra, if it was  ;)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 22:48 »
Tony il dit qu'il as 46 ans dans son profile :doggie:

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 23:11 »
Tony, Est-ce que tu as eu la réponse mon vieux?

Alors Sandra,

To be a little serious. I have nVIDIA graphics with :

Processor graphic: GeForce2MX/MX 400
   Bus: AGP
   Bios Version: 3.11.01.44.03
   Memory: 64 MB
   IRQ:  16

You see, I understand nothing of those. I wrote them for you because you can understand and see if they could be useful to you.

I don't really know if I can be more useful to you Sandra. If so, let me know.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2003, 23:30 »
Its ok Joudi,my french must be worse than I thought as I thought that I said in my reply to you earlier that it was working now  ::)
Your card is the earlier version of mine Joudi but should work in a similar way for setting it up.
It is an AGP (Accelerated Graphics Processing,not 100% certain about the processing) as opposed to a PCI card.
It is a Geforce 2(mines a Geforce 4)
The memory is on the card so it doesnt use the main RAM on the PC for the graphics,yours is 64 mine is 128DDR.
The bios is its version number.
The IRQ 16 is the Interrupt Request assigned to your card.

I hope that explains it a little to you Joudi  :-*

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2003, 00:05 »
Thanks Sandra for these explinations.

Glad it's OK with you now. Sorry I didn't notice that. In fact, it was your french which needs just a little refining. Although it is very good. You said to me while I was in full occupation to try mine: "Maintenant il fait travailleur". And I thought you wanted to say "Maintenant il faut travailler". So, I continued working without noticing that others have already posted to you many suggestions, and that it was already OK. And as I said, I was watching things on TV which is not really enough clear. Hardly I was able to read the posts.

Enjoy your film DivX on your TV.

Home Cinema means that you have a big appartement. Here, I'm unable even to move in my little room.

Malheureusement, Paris est comme ça. Pas facile de trouver un bon et grand appartement. C'est seulement pour les gens aisés.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2003, 00:43 »
I apologise Joudi as I thought that I was saying "Now it does work" when I wrote "maintenant il fait traveilleur"
Maybe its time I stopped watching "Only Fools and Horses" and relied more on Babelfish  ;)

You may not understand that Joudi,it is a TV comedy that must have been translated into french but I dont know how they would get the main characters french phrases to sound as funny,as his french is even worse than mine   ::)

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum