Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: ADSL Modems: PCI v USB  (Read 3588 times)

Online Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
ADSL Modems: PCI v USB
« on: August 18, 2003, 11:29 »
I am thinking of changing my Fujitsu External ADSL Modem, for an internal PCI one.  This is because virtually every time I reboot with the Fujitsu, it refuses to re-initialise after the reboot, and then causes XP to hang on a second reboot or shutdown.

Are there any pros / cons with external / internal Broadband modems?  Will an internal modem be as fast as a USB one?

Thanks for any advice.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Re:ADSL Modems: PCI v USB
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 11:37 »
You may have to look closely at the specs of a PCI one for hardware or software, not sure but it might be the same as a dial up  ???
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 12:51 »
The advantage of the internal is that it saves space outside the PC but the downside is that it uses up a PCI slot.
If its a good quality one it shouldnt be any slower than an external one and would have the advantage of not being USB so possibly more reliable.
Have you considered getting a router simon,my connection has been a lot quicker and more reliable since I got mine,(the time to connect to Pipex I mean),and you can get single point router\modems for the same price as internal or external modems now.
The beauty of the router\modem set up is that as soon as the PC has booted up you are connected as it turns it into a true always on connection Simon.Even if theres a problem on the line and the connection drops it reconnects itself without you having to do it manually.
Additionally if you get a router\modem\hub then when you are building PCs for your friends you can set up a network very quickly and get the new PC on the net at the same time as yours is for downloads and updates etc and transfer data to\from your PC to the new build  :-*

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 12:59 »
If I get a router, am I not still stuck with the Fujitsu modem I have now?  And will I not still have the same problem when rebooting?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 13:02 »
Does your ADSL not have a network connector (RJ45) option instead of USB. In my experience these are much more reliable and might be a cheaper option (given that network cards are about £3 from Ebuyer)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 13:25 »
Its the Fujitsu model 610 Dack,USB only.
Fortunately Simon is with Pipex who dont have any restrictions on keeping a specific modem connected at all time like some ISPs do.
So he is free to get an ethernet modem or a modem\router and he doesnt have to use the USB one
A standard router would mean that you had to use your existing modem Simon but I am talking about a combined modem\router which will have an ethernet connection to your PC.
Mine was under £80 from e buyer and is a modem\router\4 ethernet hub and wireless,unfortunately they have stopped selling it now and I havent found another of the same specifications as cheap although without the wireless part you should be able to get one.
I wasnt bothered about the wireless part it just happened to look like the best deal available at the time and the wireless was a bonus(not that I have tried it with anything with a wireless card yet) :doggie:

Adept

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 13:44 »
We had a PCI ADSL card fitted in a server at my old job for a bit. It worked OK, but as Sandra says it is still a dial-up modem. A much better solution is an ADSL router with built-in modem.

The router simply plugs into your network and after a small amount of configuration changes, any PC on your network can get network access. No more ICS - no more dial-up - the router is permanently connected. Most routers these days contain a firewall, which will allow you to remove your personal firewall software if it is causing problems.

What do you mean you don't have a network Simon? ::)

It'll plug into a network card too ...

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 13:49 »
Well, I wasn't thinking of spending that sort of money, Sandra.  I had the idea that I could pick up an internal PCI Broadband modem for about £30.

My Fujistu model is the FDX310, if anyone can think of a way round the rebooting problem, which is basically the issue here.  I have all the latest drivers, downloaded from the website.

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 13:51 »
What do you mean you don't have a network Simon? ::)

Well, I'm probably showing my ignorance, but my understanding of a 'network' is more than one PC.   ???

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 13:56 »
It is Simon but you can have a network capable PC by itself and when you are messing around with a second one that someone has brought round for you to break fix you can network them or if its one youre building you can network them.
Just had a quick look on e buyer and they have a 4 connection router\modem for under £50 so you may find one almost as cheap as your PCI card especially if you went for a single point one where you could add a hub at a later date if you wanted to network  :-*

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?
action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=48449

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 13:59 »
It is Simon but you can have a network capable PC by itself and when you are messing around with a second one that someone has brought round for you to break fix you can network them or if its one youre building you can network them.

I know I'm being really thick...

...but WHY?!!![/size]  :-\

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2003, 14:20 »
Have you ever needed to install an OS and get a big download to get its updates Simon so that when you deliver it to whoever you have done it for as they only have 56K and it would take then forever to download SP1 for example for XP ?
As you are set up now you would connect to your Fujitsu and sit there twiddling your thumbs while you wait for it to download onto that PC.
If you are networked while its doing that you can carry on doing what you want on your own PC while you wait.
You an even be looking for drivers for the other pc on yours and then download and transfer them to the repaired\new build pc while its installing the OS etc.

By the way a new proof that Sods Law is in existence  ::)
Just after I started extolling the virtues of a router\modem,my connection dropped,first time for ages  ???
It was down for about 10 minutes but as I had a router\modem I just went to the router PPP page and waited untill it showed that it had re established a connection and I knew I was back on line again.
In the meantime I could go and make a cup of tea and some toast and just check back to see if it was back on line.
No more of that clicking the connection every few minutes to see if it would connect and waiting for it to dial up  :)

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 14:24 »

break fix

:D that made me chortle.

USB has various advantages over PCI.
Plug and Play
Faster Speeds (although in the case of the modem, it doesn't really matter)
Actually,  I started this post thinking I could name a lot more advantages, I guess I was wrong...

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 14:33 »

Well, I wasn't thinking of spending that sort of money, Sandra.  I had the idea that I could pick up an internal PCI Broadband modem for about £30.

My Fujistu model is the FDX310, if anyone can think of a way round the rebooting problem, which is basically the issue here.  I have all the latest drivers, downloaded from the website.

Have you got anything else connected to the USB ports - are you going through a powered hub if you have? (Had a machine that required several boots to get working once until I connected the USB devices via a powered hub instead of relying on internal connections.

BTW how does USB have faster speeds than PCI ;) Support teams like them because they don't have to worry about network cards and associated configuration.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Online Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2003, 15:48 »
No Dack, no hubs or anything like that.  Just a straightforward USB connection into the motherboard.  I do have other USB devices (scanner / keyboard / printer etc), but they are all connected independantly - no shared ports, if I'm right in thinking where you were going.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum