Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: is there a way  (Read 1926 times)

Offline GSS

• Loyal Member
    • artzone4u.com
is there a way
« on: October 07, 2003, 10:25 »
is there a way i can save tv programme to a cdr as i am getting fed up with all the tapes laying around :brick:
www.artzone4u.com

banner coming soon

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:is there a way
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2003, 13:42 »
I think you'll need a DVD Writer for that, GSS.
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2003, 16:11 »
Well, actually:

You can get yourself a TV card - this will have an INPUT in it for RCA - you can tape from the video to your HDD with this.

You will then need to encode the video correctly, and use nero to burn a VCD. The VCD will work on DVD players.

Do a search on google for more info.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2003, 16:29 »
As well as Ks way you could get a TV tuner card, they even do terrestial digital and satellite ones now but they tend to be more expensive.
That way you would only need a TV aerial lead or a satellite lead connecting to your pc then save the programs that you want to record to your hard drive and burn to VCD.
I think that a co ax lead from your VCR connected in place of the aerial input to the TV tuner card would allow you to transfer from your existing video tapes to your pc too  :-*

Offline joudi

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2003, 16:41 »
Hi GSS,
    I could understand your question in two ways:
1 - You want to stop using tapes, and from now and on you want to use CDR.
2 - You want to convert your tapes into CDR.

Well, you've got the answer for the first supposition, but the second not yet commented or answered.

In fact, me too I have that problem with many video tapes which I like to convert into digital format to put them on CDR. I know that I need to buy a convertor which I don't know what it's called (may be techies can advice here), and then put them on my HDD to be recorded on CDR.

Please advice what is the best way for that.

Thanks.
object width="450" height="150">

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2003, 16:48 »

I think that a co ax lead from your VCR connected in place of the aerial input to the TV tuner card would allow you to transfer from your existing video tapes to your pc too  :-*

This wil do it Joudi, I may have added it in my edit after you started your reply  :)
Also Ks method using a grahics card with TV out and in will do it as he stated in his first reply  :-*

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2003, 17:01 »
So, you don't need a DVD Writer then.   ::) ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2003, 17:10 »
Not sure if this thread will stay still long enough to make a post  :heehee:  but I have hundreds of video tapes which I never watch.  It seems a good idea to convert them to DVD but I think that there are already plans in the pipeline for even newer formats.  The trouble with media storage technology is that it is always changing so you have to ask yourself if it is worth all the hassle for such a short term gain.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2003, 17:15 »
Not at all Simon unless you need them on DVDs, VCD and SVCD are far superior to VHS tapes and not far off DVD quality as far as I can tell.
In fact I read somewhere recently that China has more or less gone over to SVCD as its preferred format for buying and renting films, in preference to DVD, the snag being that you cant get the same length of film onto a CDR as you can on a DVDR  :)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2003, 17:43 »
Something like this should do you GSS, it looks ok for just under £40 plus postage.
Obviuosly there will be better more expensive ones but for converting your existing  tapes and recording analogue TV signals through an aerial on to your PC this should be fine  :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40627

Offline daveeb

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2003, 19:30 »
being an up to the minute trend setting early adopter i've been using svcd's for years. the quality is great as long as the original signal or tape is good/fair quality and none of my discs have ever failed whereas a lot of the tapes that i copied have since deteriorated noticeably, particularly the sound.  the bad news is i paid £700 for this facility ie a standalone vcd/svcd recorder and you can now get dvd recorders for £230   :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2003, 19:57 »
Its probably worth adding that a lot of the cheap TV capture cards record in MJPEG and not MPEG so you have to convert the data stream to the correct format before writing to disc.

(MJpeg is a format that simply saves the pictures out as a series of Jpegs without doing the intermediate processing of frames required to convert it to an MPEG stream).

Then work out how long you want to spend converting (and there are picture sync issues [as some cards are susceptable to the tape wobbles and don't like an 'unclean' signal]) and go and buy a standalone DVD recorder instead :)
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2003, 20:00 »

Something like this should do you GSS, it looks ok for just under £40 plus postage.
Obviuosly there will be better more expensive ones but for converting your existing  tapes and recording analogue TV signals through an aerial on to your PC this should be fine  :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=40627

Been using this one for ages Sandra, its great for watching TV/Radio and recording I have mine all hooked up to the TV ariel and the picture is excellent  ;D

Hookstar

Offline GSS

• Loyal Member
    • artzone4u.com
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2003, 21:40 »
thank you you lot i have a good look tomorriw i have not got time now :)
www.artzone4u.com

banner coming soon

Offline ketamininja

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2003, 10:45 »
I read somewhere recently that China has more or less gone over to SVCD as its preferred format for buying and renting films

does anyone remember the LaserDisc... wow 12" double sided CD's.
Yep, I guess it changes all the time.

Anyway, CD's are cheaper than tapes these days, and with some good software out there, you can encode the recorded files from your hdd to appropriate format in less than an hour for a full movie. Still sound a long time? It usedd to be about 9 hours or more....

Anyway, good luck.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum