Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Help....  (Read 1718 times)

Offline jay_hagga

Help....
« on: October 12, 2003, 00:01 »
anyone come across this 1 b4?????ive a 400mhz amd based pc..and a daytona sis6326agp graphics..the problem is that i keep getting blocks of colour change,thin vertical lines and broken txt..hitting F5 sorts this..but it comes back...have tried different drivers an settings(eg refresh rate/colours/screen res) and checked that the card is seated ok....i will be happy 4 any help :)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
Re:Help....
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 00:06 »
Hi jay_hagga, and

We seem a bit thin on the ground as far as techies go tonight (probably all out drunk somewhere!), but our resident night owl, Sandra, may be able to help you in a while.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 00:38 »
Hi jay_hagga, it does sound like too fast a refresh rate have you tried dropping it as low as possible ?
The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that if you have a VIA chipset on your motherboard to try the latest 4 in 1 drivers for it  ???

Offline jay_hagga

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 00:46 »
Hi Sandra :)..ive got the refresh as low as poss...i had the motherboard and graphics from a mate(he said the drivers were a pain..lol)the main board is a ali aladdin v agpset(GA-5ax)......it is a strange one..say for instance..in msn chat..the user window goes all strange but the chat window(and the rest of the page)is okay :-\..if this helps...+ ive just done a fresh install today..this hasnt helped either(maybe time to get new hardware..lol)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 01:03 »
Quick post before I go to bed (and the girlfriend kills me for waking her up :))

Usual things:
1. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for the motherboard (especially on an Aladdin chipset based board).

2. Try running the card at AGP x1 instead of AGP x2 (if thats possible in the bios) - it may be that you have a problem with the graphics card that is causing it to fall over when data is transfered over the AGP bus.

3. Check the temperature of the graphics card - it might be as simple as it overheating (though from your symptoms I doubt it).
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 01:04 »
If its not the refresh rate it sounds like the drivers for either the board or the GFX card doesnt it  ???

Have you tried the drivers from here in case they are newer than what you have or in case they are corrupted ?

Giga-byte Drivers

* Adept abbriviated the URL which was upsetting formatting for Moz users ;)[/color]

Offline jay_hagga

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 01:11 »
okay..phew..the grafix isnt over heating.(how many fans..lol)..just down loading the ali drivers..silly question :-[what do i do with those now..lol..btw..ty 4 your help ;)

Offline jay_hagga

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 01:22 »
hehe..wasn't being a total dumbass asking what to do with them..lo(didn't know they were self installing..lol)..ive just installed them but no difference :'(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2003, 01:36 »
Have you tried running it in safe mode to see if you still get the vertical lines and broken text ?
If you dont then its looking like just a faulty GFX card or drivers for it.
There dont seem to be any available for that card as far as I can see  :(
There is a thread on driverguide.com going back a few years with people after drivers for that card for various OSs.
Which OS are you one by the way ?

Offline jay_hagga

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2003, 01:44 »
if i run with no drivers its okay(but dont like 16 cols and 640x480..lol)it'll run okay at true colour 24 bit@640x480(but silly big icons..lol)but i want to run 800x600 ..24 bit works best..if i go any lower its even worse..eg 16 bit makes all text jumbled up...it isn't looking good is it..lol :'(

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2003, 01:47 »
I dont suppose that you have a spare graphics card that you can beg, borrow or steal to try in it as its looking like a faulty card for sure now, (or the drivers for it),  :(

Offline jay_hagga

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2003, 01:53 »
yeh..i'll try another card..first tho i'll pop it up to my mates(who gave me them)..he had this set up 4 a couple of years..he may know something...(yes..he may know something..thats why he gave them me..lol :-\)..tnx for your help ;)

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2003, 02:02 »
Ok, I hope he can sort it out for you or at least try your card in his and his in yours maybe  :)

Adept

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2003, 09:02 »
Adding to everything that Dack said, it could also be a memory fault :( It would be worth testing the card in another PC if possible.

Oh and :welcome: jay_hagga :D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2003, 09:39 »
* Adept abbriviated the URL which was upsetting formatting for Moz users ;)

Am I dreaming?    ;) :D :D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum