Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Unknown warning from PC alert 4  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Naruto

Unknown warning from PC alert 4
« on: October 22, 2003, 14:19 »
Hiya peepz!

I got a problem with my pc. My pc alerter keeps on giving warning about my voltage or something like that. (3.3 V. min threshold)mine is 3.04V right now..that's why I get a warning, but I haven't got any clue what that means! Can someone help me out?

Greetz,

Naruto

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:Unknown warning from PC alert 4
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2003, 14:37 »
Hi Naruto, welcome aboard.
Is it just the battery low warning thats its beeping about ?
Theyre easy enough to change and for once a pc component thats cheap  :)
Does it cause any problems anywhere or just the annoying beep, in case its something else, as the battery shouldnt affect it once its up and running  ???

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2003, 15:21 »
Hi Naruto, and welcome,

don't worry about that voltage reading it is OK, it is just that PC Alert 4 is a utility made avaliable by MSI for use with their Motherboards.

If you bring up your existing PC Alert 4, you will see the little windows that show the temp, voltage and fan speed readings. Above each of these you will see two blue squares,these set the Min and Max trigger levels for the audible alarm.  If you "left click" and drag either left or right you will increase or decrease the  setting at with the alarm will be triggered.

And if you click on "Menu" [bottom left] you can adjust how many seconds elapse when a trigger is hit before the alarm sounds, or you can mute the alarm if you want.

For instance my settings for the voltage are Min 2.89 v and Max 3.45 v and currently running at 3.23 v

Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 15:47 »
:welcome: Naruto! I must say the choice of name is excellent as the Anime and Manga are superb  ;D Either that or you are talking about the Naruto whirlpools  ;D
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Naruto

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 16:24 »
thnq people for helping me :P
I didn't know I can adjust the minimum and maximum voltage hehe :P I adjusted it now and fortunately, it doesn't beep anymore :) But I still got another question...If I use my cpu up to 100% my computer will produce a (burning)smell..but if I check my cpu temperature...it's still ok. My computer will crash after prox. 15 minutes. However...If I place my external fan on the side of my computer, he will keep on running without problems. But that isn't a perm solution...winter is coming up..and my legs are freezing with that fan next to my computer :P

Offline Naruto

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 16:26 »
robotochan: hehe yeah thx :P It's the naruto you're talking about. Great anime! can't wait until ep. 55 is out :P

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2003, 16:30 »
I'm still on Episode 30  ;D I'm one of the unfortunates that don't have broadband and has a brother that can't get their hands on the rest of them  ;D.

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Naruto

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2003, 16:33 »
hehe that's bummer :P it's getting really exciting and cool now :P Naruto learning new tricks and stuff.
You just have to be patient to get the other eps :P

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2003, 16:39 »
I'm trying to be  ;)

Example:
Microsoft Works

Adept

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2003, 16:41 »

thnq people for helping me :P
If I use my cpu up to 100% my computer will produce a (burning)smell..but if I check my cpu temperature...it's still ok. My computer will crash after prox. 15 minutes. However...If I place my external fan on the side of my computer, he will keep on running without problems.

Hi Naruto :welcome:

It does sound as if it is a cooling problem. Do you have a rear exhaust fan on your PC? I find that these can reduce the temperature of the CPU quite significantly. I have two on my PC - pretty blue and red neon ones 8). I control their speed so they are not too noisy, but they still reduce the cpu temperature by about 5-8 degrees.

Could you tell us what cpu you have and what temperature it runs at?

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2003, 16:49 »

But I still got another question...If I use my cpu up to 100% my computer will produce a (burning)smell..but if I check my cpu temperature...it's still ok. My computer will crash after prox. 15 minutes. However...If I place my external fan on the side of my computer, he will keep on running without problems. But that isn't a perm solution...winter is coming up..and my legs are freezing with that fan next to my computer :P

Do you gamers always run your CPU's at 100%, if so you are going to need sugar hot cooling I would have thought. I mean I would not want to run my car at max revs all the time I was driving it.  What size CPU have you got and on what motherboard?

What CPU temp and System temp does PC Alert show at start up and when it is running at 100%. And what "CPU Cut Off" temp have you got it set at in the Bios ?

Usually overheating CPU's if not faulty can be sorted, by reseating the Heatsink on the CPU. Have you always had overheating problems, does it run hot when using your PC normally, or only when you are running it at full pelt.

All these questions I know, but the more info you provide the easier it is for us to come to the  probuble reason for your problem. All we know now is, when case cooling is supplimented, it stops yor PC closing down.

Drat Adept beat me to it, I'm going to have to learn to type using two fingers ;D

Offline Naruto

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2003, 17:03 »
I have got a MSI 6712 KT4V motherboard with AMD Athlon 2000+
I think it's not the cpu problem. The temperature used to run up to 73C and then crashes..but I bought a new cooler. It usually goes to 56/57C max now. That shouldn't be a problem. When my system crashes..my cpu temperature is still around that temperature and PC alerter doesn't give any warnings. I just smell something and then my pc crashes. I've got a casing with 6 system fans in it :P I attached 4 fans including the 2 on the rear back. I even got a fan/cooler installed on the 5.25inch reck. Everytime when I'm going to play games or try to video editing, I need my external fan to keep my system running.. :(

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2003, 17:10 »
56/57 degrees is within AMD's advised normall running temp range.And I think the Min trigger temp you can set in Bios is 70 degrees on MSI Mobo's. So if the actual temp is 57 C. when it shuts off it sounds like the "shut down" mechanisim is kicking in to early.

I'll shut min down and see what the min setting is, but then I have to make the Tea  ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2003, 17:30 »
Yep Min cut off in Bios is 70 C. Now either PC Alert or the Bios cut off temp reading is wrong. You  could try up the Temp cut off in Bios say to 75 C. it goes up to a Max of 95 C. [not advised]

The smell of burning is a worry though, but if your confident the heatsink is seated properly on the CPU and the fans are working correctly, air flow wise. I mean by that, they are not working "against" each other, and thus restricting the air flow from cool air being drawn in as near to the front low down as possible.

You could always get an XP Barton 3000+   ;D

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2003, 17:49 »
Hi Naruto,

Could it be your graphics card heating up?  Does it have a fan attached to it, and if so, is it working?    Just a thought.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum