Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: spacers  (Read 4915 times)

Offline twiggy

Re:spacers
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2003, 00:01 »
yep no problems there at all

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2003, 00:01 »
Don't want to state the obvious, but is the lead from the PSU to the Motherboard connected properly?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2003, 00:02 »

The spacers only contact the mobo on an insulated part not a conductive part of the mobo Mark, they are merely there to hold the pins that protrude through the mobo away from the metal case  :)

Not exactly :)

Some of the spacers - the metal ones - connect to earthing points that connect the earth of the motherboard to the earth of the case so that there are not separate earths in the computer (as that would provide a voltage differential and strange problems). The others are for keeping the pins away from the metal of the case.

http://www.scotsmist.co.uk/fitting_mobo.html for a simple guide to fitting motherboards.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2003, 00:05 »

Ok pressed power swicth and guess what nothing? :'( Nothing at all, no flashs or bangs this time thow ;D But nothing is powering up no beeps no nothing?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cmos jumper set to the correct position and power switch connector on the correct jumpers?

Offline twiggy

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2003, 00:10 »
lead form psu to motherboard connected, cmos jumper set to pins 2 and 3 so no problems here.

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 00:15 »
Which motherboard is it? Is it the k75sa?

Offline twiggy

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 00:17 »
its the k7s5a pro

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2003, 00:23 »
You've put the power switch connector between pins 6 and 8 (horizontal) and not vertical?

What processor? Is it the same one as from the recently deceased motherboard?

Offline twiggy

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2003, 00:26 »
its the same one as last time xp2400

the power swicth is between pins 6 and 8

Offline twiggy

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2003, 00:33 »
should i just go and sit in da corner and for get this hole idea? ;D lol this is one of the biggest mistakes i have ever made and the most costly ;)

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2003, 08:01 »
Stabbing in the dark here Mark, but have you got another PSU you could try?  Just wondering if it was damaged when the last m/board shorted out?   :-\
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2003, 09:02 »
Was about to post this last night when my machine reset (damn this Camino chipset). :)

Summary (please correct me if I'm wrong):
1. You've fitted a new motherboard
2. You've used the same processor, power supply, case, graphics card and memory as from the machine that had the board blow up.

Possible causes:
1. Power supply went faulty when the other one blew up. You'd need to try it with another (known working) board to prove this. Same thing with the other components as when the undersize of the motherboard was grounded you would have had stray voltages connecting to all sorts of components (and of course the processor would have quite a current drain and hence be one of the most likely failures after the power supply).

2. Memory? - though I doubt you would have mixed SDRAM and DDRAM on the same board.

3. CMOS Battery dead - a long shot but IIRC there were some boards that were sent out with a faulty battery. Solution being change the battery over for a known good one.

Offline twiggy

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2003, 17:42 »
He hey got it working the psu had blown so that leaves the question did the last motherboard go? But any way problems!!!!! Set up the bios cmos and everything was fine then i exit and saved them, it rebooted and come up sayin xp1800 when its a xp2400 so went back into the bios and changed the speed to 166/133 (the biggest it would go) then exit and saved it. Then the screen was jsut blank nothign happening ??? So i turned it on and off nothing again just a blank screen. The cd drive wont open or anything ??? The fans power up and cd drive flashes but the monitor just says no signal.

???Any ideas ???

Thanks Mark

Offline Clive

• Administrator
  • Won Quiz of the Year 2015,2016,2017, 2020, 2021
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2003, 17:52 »
No techies around at the moment Mark but I'm sure there will be later on.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2003, 18:15 »
I should think that the mobo and cpu went at the same time Mark.
I am just setting up a PC now that had a blown PSU and a failed hard drive, so its a chicken and egg situation with this one  ;)

I assume that you cant get back into BIOS and load failsafe defaults, that would be my first choice  ???

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum