Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: missing keyboard  (Read 1437 times)

Offline danlan02

missing keyboard
« on: November 08, 2003, 18:01 »
Hi everyone again ;D,once again i have stumbled at the final hurdle.i thought i was pretty darn knowledgable with pcs but obviously i was wrong.
I changed cases in an old pentium 2 kept the lot but changed the psu and added a dvd-cdr combi drive.
the problem is the pc the pc switches on and off nicely NOW anyway ;).
but at post it runs the memory check three to five times with always the same result.i havent change tyhe memory module yet but going to shortly,the mem check isnt at issue at the moment.
The problem is that the computer is not recgognizing my keyboard,ive tried three different working keyboards and it still doesnt recgonize the darn thing.
and i keep getting cmos checksum error loading defaults press f1 to continue,as i cant with no keyboard i am as they say buggered wot can i do guys.
any ideas.at post it has found my dvd-cdr como and my other cdr found the hard disk just nout else.
any ideas with the above 3 problems guys.
and thanx for all your help with my last to problems you guys help me clear them up quickly. thanks all of you.especaiily damn i cant remember her name. she plays a tune when you read her posts thank you.sorry for the ignorance of forgetting your name it will come back to me

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
Re:missing keyboard
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2003, 18:17 »
Hi Dan, you say that you cant press F1, does that mean that you cant get into the bios either by pressing DEL ?
If you cant get that then after checking that the mouse and the keyboard arent plugged in the wrong way round, (dont laugh I did that once by just reaching around the back and not looking  ::) ), then try clearing the CMOS by moving the clear cmos jumper position, then change it back and see if it will pick up your keyboard after that :doggie:

Offline danlan02

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 18:26 »
hi sandra it is you i was talking about i couldnt remembere your name how are you.thanx for your help with my os install problems.
i have reset the bios still nothing i know the mobo is ok i have been using before i changed the case.i cant work out why it mem checks a few times.at first i had probs with it switching on,it wouldnt there is a suspend mode jumper that when i took it off it loaded fine for about 10 secs then switched off with the jumper on nothing off ok.,blasted pc this is the only one ive had probs with.destined for the bin i reckon lol.one other important thing is when i tried to clear the cmos it wouildnt post nothing happened after shorting the pins at first but got there in the end.still no blasted k board though.thanx sandra your a star,a very helpful star at that

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2003, 18:34 »
Have you actually checked the memory stick(s?) since you migrated to the new case, Dan?  Maybe it got knocked and needs re-seating?  Can't see how that would affect the keyboard, but it may solve one problem.

And yes, Sandra is a star!   ;)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2003, 18:36 »
I am fine thanks Dan  :-*

Do you still get the CHECKSUM error message ?

Offline danlan02

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2003, 18:37 »
thanx for the reply simon yes i have change the memory after reseating the original still no joy.im stumped i have no clue it just wants to be a pain.i even put it all back in the old case but i still got the same woty have i done.i have strippedf it and re built it 5 times  now aaaaaaaargh :-\ ;D

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2003, 18:42 »
If its rechecking the memory a few times have you tried it with just one stick in ?
Maybe theres one module down and its causing it to recheck  ???

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2003, 18:43 »
Sandra, isn't there a keyboard setting in the BIOS?  Don't you have to set it to OS/2 or something?
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline danlan02

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2003, 18:46 »
yeh ive tried usingf five differtent mem moduiles still i get the same ive tried them all individualy and in each of the tweo dimm slots.no joy still though mates.

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 18:50 »
There are a couple of things in the bios that could do with being checked but it needs the keyboard to be operational to get into bios to check it, one of the things I always alter is Halt On No Erros that usually defaults to halt on keyboard errors which its probably set at now  ???
I cant think how to get around this without getting into bios  ::)
One thing to try Dan is to disconnect both the IDE cables and the floppy connector and any extra cards other than the graphics one just to see if you can get into bios.
Just in case anything is causing an error that the bios is halting on but its a long shot as I think the "halt on all errors" setting occurs at a later stage  ???

Offline danlan02

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 18:52 »
ok sandra i have a few things to try thanx for all your help.i will let you know how i get on thank youi very much for all the replies guys.

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 18:53 »
There are a couple of things in the bios that could do with being checked but it needs the keyboard to be operational to get into bios to check it

:doh:

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2003, 18:54 »
Oh the naivety of youth :)

1. The memory problem will be because you reset the bios :) It will have defaulted to 'Quick boot' set to off. This does the full memory check which is three full read/writes. Switch it to on to speed that up.

2. The keyboard issue - what type of keyboard have you got attached? If a USB one then it will not work until the bios has completely initialised and you've switched on USB keyboard support in the bios. Have you tried a PS2 one? If you have then it's possible you are simply not putting thne keyboard in far enough due to the case design :) This happened to me a few weeks ago when I couldn't get one working - it turned out the case was stopping full insertion of the connector. Wiggling it about cured it.

3. CMOS issue - if you can't get into the bios then you will not be able to write it to memory and so fix the error.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Offline danlan02

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2003, 18:54 »
sorry for being rude sandra yes i do still get the checksum message wots that about

Offline danlan02

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2003, 19:01 »
yes i am using the standard mouse port.thanx for the mem problem answer.i will get there im not dead and buried yet the pc will be working sweet when ive plucked up the patience again lol >:( ;D.
in all my years of doing pcs ive never had this trouble with one damned pc.

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum