Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: Computer locks up / freezes  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Scotia

Re:Computer locks up / freezes
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2003, 10:52 »
I received my new memory on Friday the 5th. It has been installed all weekend and it seems to have cured the problem  :)

I've done a bit of video editing and played a couple of games with no lock up.

Thanks once again to everyone for their advice, it has been greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Scotia

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2003, 10:55 »
Glad to hear that, Scotia.  :D  Thanks for letting us know.   :)
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2003, 11:53 »
Thats great scotia.  :)

Lona did you try that programme?

I've just got it and I'm using 90mb out of my 127mb And I've hardly got anything running that I do sometimes.
Out of all the things I've lost .......I miss my mind the most!!

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2003, 11:59 »
Are you picking your nose in your new pic, Shell?   :-X ;D ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
    • http://www.sugrue.ndo.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2003, 13:14 »
Scotia,

good to hear the memory upgrade has sorted your problem.

Memory upgrades are by far the recommended and most cost effective way of upgrading an existing system.

Shell,

just note the free memory you have left after your PC has booted up and before you start using it. Then physically dump "free memory" and see how much memory you can grab back.

It will only free up memory that the system is not using, memory that was used to pre load programs that are not actually in use. You see alot of programs when first installed, set themselves to be preloaded at start up, assumming you will want to use them, MS Office for example. Now you can remove these programs  from the boot up sequence if you want I [I always do]

But using Freemem will do the same job for you, either set it to "Auto dump" or do it physically yourself once the indicated memory has reached it's lowest. [that means it has finished pre loading programs, this can go many seconds after you see your Desktop]

read the help files, they explain your options, and dont worry no matter how much memory you try to dump, it will only dump what ain't being used, so don't threat not even Blondes or Celts can cock it up  ;) :P ::)
Athiesm is a non-prophet organization.

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2003, 17:21 »
Lona did you try that programme?

I haven't actually tried it yet, Michelle, as I have lots of other problems with PC at the moment and am thinking of doing a complete re-install of windows.

I think you and I will have to sort this Tony boy out Michelle, calling us dumb. :heehee:

How's your knowledge on IEEE1394 Smarty Pants? :clever:
http://dinah.www.idnet.com/chrisisaac.swf

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2003, 17:27 »

I haven't actually tried it yet, Michelle, as I have lots of other problems with PC at the moment and am thinking of doing a complete re-install of windows.

I think you and I will have to sort this Tony boy out Michelle, calling us dumb. :heehee:

Sorry to hear that lona!! eek!

Yes he does need sorting out lona.

Stupid I might be but I draw the line at dumb  >:(

:lol:

Thanks for the advice tony
 ;D

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2003, 19:43 »
called you dumb......I NEVER...where did I say that? :)

Poor lass, what with iffy eysight, and now problems with your IEEE 1394 High performance Serial Bus........ ;)

Shell,

You can give me a go seeing to any time :o

Edit: Lona a complete reinstall of Windows sounds good ..just not ME....grasp the moment install W2K or XP.....load  it....like it ...keep it. If not load ME.....you know it makes sense
  ::)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2003, 02:49 »
Edit: Lona a complete reinstall of Windows sounds good ..just not ME....grasp the moment install W2K or XP.....load  it....like it ...keep it. If not load ME.....you know it makes sense

I have just found out my Commandos games won't play on XP,Tony, so how could I attack Sadam ;D. I have spent a fortune on those games and I'm not giving them up for a silly package like XP. ;). You tell me a way round that and I might and I am only saying MIGHT consider it. ;D

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Offline Michelle

• Forum Fanatic
    • Techieminx
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2003, 07:48 »
:eeek:

wait for it ................  :tony:

Offline Simon

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2003, 16:16 »
Will they play on Windows 2000, Lona?

Offline Sandra

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2003, 17:26 »
Only on non NT systems Simon so NT, 2K ans XP are out, unless she dual boots  :(

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2003, 22:06 »

:eeek:

wait for it ................  :tony:

Shell .....me... :tony:...no way  ::)

Lona,

I'm not into games, so I cannot help there....but it must be an old bugger...I talking about the game now   ;) and surley there are better games that have been made to run on more up to date Operating Systems.

Refusal to upgrade to newer better OS....wont try newer games. If I didn't know you better ::) I'd say you where exibiting that trait old people adopt...the fear of anything new... :o ;)

Offline Lona

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2003, 23:12 »
I'd say you where exibiting that trait old people adopt...the fear of anything new...  

You can call me all the old buggers under the sun, Tony ;D. I will have you know that Commandos is a very uptodate game. :P.  In fact I am getting the latest in the series from Santa and that only came out September of this year. So put that in your ship and bottle it. :wahh:.

PS For goodness sake Sandra, don't tell him I can get a patch for it or he will never give me peace. :-X ::)

Offline Tony

• Loyal Member
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 00:12 »
Last time Sandra had a patch....she rolled it up and smoked it......as she was out of ciggies at the time  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum