Sponsor for PC Pals Forum

Author Topic: TV out enabled?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
TV out enabled?
« on: December 11, 2003, 20:24 »
This is a weird one.

Watched a dvd last night on here "The X-Men" and ran alright...went to watch the follow up X-Men2 just now and went right through the trailers  :-\ yawnnnnnnnnnnn then as the film was about to start it went all funny and said there was an error you need to reeboot, tried 3 times with a reeboot every time and exactly the same, that was with interactual player.
Tried the other one I have, Power DVD and comes up with the message TV out enabled? what gives.

Other than sticking the DVD into the DVD player in the Living room I dont know what to do, does anybody have any suggestions.

Hookstar

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
Re:TV out enabled?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 20:35 »
Could it be some kind of copy protection as it seems to suggest it with the fact that it's new and it stopped just before the film started.
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 20:38 »
Might be ,so how do I disenable the TV out  :-\ but how come it let me watch the 1st DVD.. something weird going on.

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 20:42 »
Just found this Hmpphhhhhh.

Macrovision is a form of analogue copy protection for video only (audio is not affected) - for DVDs, it is a way to prevent you from copying them to VHS (thus obtaining a very high quality VHS copy of the DVD). This is fair enough, and while it does prevent users from exercising their rights as consumers to make VHS backups of their DVDs, we'll leave this debate for another time.

Macrovision is built into the TV-out device of your PC-DVD system, and activated when a activation code is found on DVDs that have Macrovision protection. Not all DVDs have Macrovision (eg. MGM DVDs), just like not all of them have region or even CSS protection.

Macrovision comes in many forms - some simply blocks playback (see below), some distorts the picture (black and white, rolling, unstable picture, etc ...).

When PC-DVD first came out, there was not a lot of attention made to Macrovision protection (or even Region protection, for that matter). When the powers that be threatened lawsuits if Macrovision was not enabled on all devices (even those sold prior), some rather draconian schemes were implemented.

One such scheme saw all software DVD players to detect TV-out capabilities, and disable DVD playback if the TV-out was activated and did not have Macrovision protection built into the TV-out chip. This did prevent DVD to VHS copying, but it also prevented people from watching DVDs through their graphics card's TV-out (and to be honest, many people bought TV-out enabled cards just for this very reason).

Later TV-out chips had built-in Macrovision protection, and allowed you to connect the card to a TV, but the picture will be distorted if connected through your VCR (eg. if you TV does not have composite/S-Video inputs).

However, poorly implemented Macrovision schemes can see DVDs being prevented from being played even when you don't have a TV-out device

Before you think your system is affected by Macrovision, check and make sure that all cables are connected and seated in properly (eg. some S-Video cables don't go all the way in to their slots, and can cause black and white picture to be outputted), and that the proper video system (eg. PAL, NTSC variations, SECAM - using the wrong video system can also mean distortions) is set for your TV-out device (please refer to its documentations for instructions on how to do this).

Summary :
If your TV-out chip does not support Macrovision, your software DVD player might tell you that you cannot play DVDs when TV-out is enabled
If your TV-out chip supports Macrovision, then if you connect the TV-out port directly to your TV, there shouldn't be any problems. You will get a distorted picture if you connect through your VCR and try to record the video

Offline Robotochan

• Established Member
    • http://www.dollshouse91.fsnet.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2003, 20:50 »
Well having a google I found a DVD copy site where people have been having problems with copying it due to a new type of encryption. This might be true and the reason you could play the 1st one as it was made in 2000  :)

EDIT: got in before me  ;D
b]Oxymoron: [/b]
2 words that when put together contradict one another

Example:
Microsoft Works

Offline Simon

• Administrator
  • First to score 7/7 in Quiz of The Week's News 2017
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 22:01 »
Other than sticking the DVD into the DVD player in the Living room I dont know what to do, does anybody have any suggestions.

Errr... is it me?   ::) ;) ;D
Many thanks to all our members, who have made PC Pals such an outstanding success!   :thumb:

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 23:14 »
Simon  :P.. behave ..

Just watched the X-men2.........brilliant movie.

Still doesnt explain why I cant watch it on the PC..unless it thinks because I have a TV card and it thinks Im copying the DVD, I wouldnt do that never  ::)

Offline Dack

• Established Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 00:09 »
If you were a real criminal you would possibly just use http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ and tick the 'remove macrovision' option before playing it off your hard drive.........luckily you are not like that are you.

Usually down to the macrovision implementation on your playback software though I'd guess ad some jiggery pokery with the sparams and gparams in the menu. Usually you can get around this by using your software player and jumping directly to the movie.
hey promised the earth! Then delivered mud.
Technically it did meet the spec.

Adept

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 07:26 »
Another useful bit of software is DVD Genie, which not only removes Macrovision from all the popular PC DVD decoder software, but it also allows you to make the player region free.

I only mention this for completeness and have to stress that this is of course morally wrong - you'll go to hell for using it ;)

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 16:54 »

If you were a real criminal you would possibly just use http://www.dvddecrypter.com/ and tick the 'remove macrovision' option before playing it off your hard drive.........luckily you are not like that are you.

Usually down to the macrovision implementation on your playback software though I'd guess ad some jiggery pokery with the sparamsand gparams in the menu. Usually you can get around this by using your software player and jumping directly to the movie.

Ermm in English please Dack and no I'm not a Crim..never copied a DVD in my life..honest Guv, couldnt we put a guide on the forum somewhere so that everyone has an easy 123 guide  ;D

Hook

Offline TR

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 18:41 »
Ok.......found on a forum elsewhere on how to get round the encryption on start up  ;D.

Its very easy in fact its stupid really lol, hold down the shift key whilst the DVD was inserted and loaded? This stops the protection software at the start of the DVD from running. Power DVD could then be run OK

Hookstar

Hope this helps anybody else  ;D

Show unread posts since last visit.
Sponsor for PC Pals Forum